[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I guess a different opinion equals disrespect

  • From: "Nancy Harper Mulvaney " <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:30:36 -0400

Tina,

You are correct - oversized dogs/bitches aren't what the standard calls for;
not all breeders produce 28,29,or 30 inch GSD's.
Should we change the standard to accommodate the larger dogs just because
they are out there?  Obviously the answer is a resounding NO.

It is not uncommon throughout the history of a breed, any breed, for that
matter, for various faults to rise to the top only to eventually
be pushed back & tucked behind a closed door to control undesirable
genetics. In our GS breed history, breeders have been "awed" by the
unexpected appearance of an outstanding GSD. With few exceptions, those of
us who breed to the best of our ability,
and wish to present what we have breed by way of competition recognize this
outstanding individual and want to incorporate the
qualities exhibited by the dog. This dog produces his wonderful qualities
and so he is used profusely though several generations.
Eventually,the faults will also rise to the top and now breeders must work
to bring the pendulum back to center.

As Joan Fox pointed out, those folks in the middle of the ring that are
pointing the finger, bear a huge responsibility - they in some ways,
dictate the direction of the breed.  We should keep in mind however, that
judge can only judge what is brought before him/her.
It simply does not make sense to change our Standard because there are
dog/bitches that are being shown and bred  that are not
good examples of the correct GSD as described in our Standard.

As for the change in our Standard regarding teeth.  At one point in time it
was not uncommon for those at ring side
to be able to see right through a gapping mouth as a competing dog in the
ring  began to pant. More and more teeth were missing as
breeders concentrated on other physical characteristics.  Knowledgeable
breeders became concerned, how could a dog with
multiple missing teeth perform the job they were bred for? So the Standard
was changed to PROTECT THE BREED.

Another example of a PROTECTIVE change in the GSD Standard was the inclusion
of a statement penalizing an exhibit for unsound character.  Very important.
If exhibits
today are not being penalized for poor temperament should be change the
Standard to make that OK?   If judges do not penalize poor temperament is
not due to
a faulty Standard

As for pigment, there was a time in our History that we began to see more
and more dogs exhibiting very pale pigment, "washed out" dogs with no
saddles, & white toenails .
A warning sign that genetically we had better take note, it had already been
established that rich, dark colors were preferred.  Why, because Shepherds
with
strong to good pigment typically exuded a true "Shepherd Look"  Just as a
solid white Boxer, Doberman, or Great Dane would not look like a typical
Boxer,
Doberman, or Great Dane etc.  It has to do with the "Look of Eagles"
difficult to define" but 'UNMISTABLE WHEN PRESENT" .  Please do not
misunderstand,
this is not a "put down" on white shepherds as we all know there are many
white shepherds that are smart, dependable, great companions, good workers,
and
sound of gait.  Do they "look different?  Yes, they do look different

They simply do not LOOK like a black and tan, red & black, or  sable just as
blues, & livers don't .  To change the Standard to have Whites competing in
the AKC ring with pigmented GS's does not serve to protect the breed as it
is known which, is the only VALID reason to change a well written Standard.
What it WOULD DO is satisfy the owner and breeder of the White GS Dog by
acknowledging the white is "just as good as the pigmented Shepherd" and
"DESERVES" to compete IN THE AKC RING - AFTERALL THE WHITE IS a true GS Dog.

Again this is not an open criticism of White Shepherds as such, only an
attempt to explain there is a difference in the overall "LOOK".  A look that
has been developed since our GS Founder in Germany registered the first GSD.
It was inevitable that whites were part of the development of the breed as
most all old Herding stock from throughout Europe descended from various
dogs having whites in the Background.  The early dedicated and reliable
breeders from the 1930's forward have deliberately bred out the white
shepherd, establishing the LOOK of the present day  Shepherd Dog as it is
recognized today.  For those that prefer the White Shepherd that is their
PERSONAL decision & PREFERENCE.  Those breeders have chosen a different path
- that path veers AWAY from that part of the Standard that identifies the
TRUE GERMAN SHEPHERD LOOK.

Nancy Harper- Mulvaney
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 04:42:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Joan Fox" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)

Tina,
It is up to the judges to put up the dogs that are closest to the Standard.
It is up to the breeders to breed the most correct dog possible.
The standard is clear and needs no revision.

Joan F. Fox
17500 Haskins Rd.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023
tel: 440-759-4119
http://www.campaignersgsds.com

(Redacted sender "ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC) wrote:

>> I don't mean to disrespect anyone. I just don't like when people scream
"standard" with long coats and whites, but it's okay to have dogs that can't
walk normal, are 30" tall or can't even be touched and get rewarded for it.
It's extremely frustrating and again, I was not attacking anyone or any dog.
Simply stating that people need to not just complain when something doesn't
agree with what they believe and state it's a violation of the standard.

>> P.S. I wasn't being condescending with me comment of "that's
>> awesome." I meant it whole heartedly. I'm glad to hear of dogs that
>> can do it all. :)
>>
>> Tina

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html NATIONAL BLOG -
http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

http://showgsd.org/mail.html