[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I don't get it

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:59:47 +0000

Hi Jackie,
NO dog is perfect. Not in the 50's, 60's, 90's or today.  There are always top
winners but never perfection - although some come a lot closer than others LOL
 The breed is a work in progress.  Each generation should get closer and closer
to perfection.  However, when you try to change one aspect of the breed - pick
any one - and just focus on that you loose ground somewhere else.  So in the
70's we were working on ski slope toplines and got size.  In the 80's we got
too much rear and began to loose forehands and breed type because toplines go
so extreme.   Then in the 90's we started to cut back on the rear and began to
moderate toplines and lost masculinity in males and GOT IT in bitches! Today we
are breeding for mascline males and feminine bitches while trying to maintain
correct size AND working on breed type but we lost movement.  Next, we'll
hopefully work on movement and loose ....... ?

There is not such thing as the perfect dog.  What was correct 45 years ago is
not correct today because we have been working to improve - not on the standard
- but the breed - trying to get closer to that illusive perfection. Those top
winners were just the best available from their generation.  Each generation
should be a little "different" (translate that to mean closer to the standard)
than their parents or as breeders we are not doing our job - trying to breed to
the STANDARD.

This is why breeding with frozen semen is so important.  We are not breeding
backwards.  We are using dogs with attributes that we may have had, but lost,
due to breeders' focus on correcting other, more pressing, problems.  JMO

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Firedog, Ch Cookie, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy, and Ch Flash!
Website updated 10/05

From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx