[ SHOWGSD-L ] I asked the OVER-reach question!

  • From: Schipstar@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:02:20 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/2005 12:07:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I've only heard "over reaching" used to describe a dog whose hind
foot reaches past the front under its body when it gaits.  In most  breeds
that's a fault, but it is correct movement in GSD's - part of the  ground
covering gait we want.
I don't recall who orginally asked the question, maybe whoever it was
can clarify what they were asking?
Hi Janice and Sandi,
I'm gingerly raising my hand, I did it!  Actually, I originally asked the
question, and then I also tried to explain it further when asked, you might
have
missed those posts.  The first thing I wanted to comment on is that I've
always heard the term "reach" used to describe the extension a dog has in
front,
and "drive" the term to describe the amount of "push" a dog has from the rear,
thus, "good reach and drive", in balanced combination, is a pretty thing to see
when it is seen on a correctly built dog.  Maybe this isn't the same in GSDs
but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

It isn't simply the rear feet surpassing the point of touch down for the
front feet VERY far in front, it is also the front coming WAY back beyond what
looks graceful or comfortable.  I've seen it not only look very awkward from
the
side, but also, it appears to give the dog a slight side to side motion when
viewed coming and going.

After many private emails with a lot of nice folks who also sent me tons of
photos of gorgeous dogs, I've come to the conclusion that what I'm seeing is
actually a dog who probably doesn't have the structure to have a LOT of reach
and drive, and is over compensating by almost bending their entire body in
order
to keep up with the pace that has been set.  So in this case, probably
"under-angulation" which at the very least does say something for that poor dog
who
is doing it's best to really cover ground when it's probably not very
comfortable for it to do so.  Can't blame them for trying, shows a lot of heart!

I wish I had a better graphics program, I'd "draw" a graphic of it, but I
will have my digital camera ready from now on when I go to shows so that I
might
actually capture it in a photo that I can share.

thanks again for all of you who have talked to me in the past several days,
your words, and photos have been a huge help to me in understanding what a good
moving GSD is SUPPOSED to look like.  I've also gotten to see some really
really nice GSDs.  Funny thing is, most of the one's I've liked the most have
been on the east or north-east, how about sending some of those nice dogs out
here so I can photograph THEM!

There is one bitch in particular who would ALWAYS have a home with me here if
she's EVER available (I think I'm in love)!  She got me all excited again at
the possibilities of what super dogs are still and now out there!

So again, thank you for all the help, I realize it is frustrating (as one
person pointed out to me) for those of you who have been on this list for a
LONG
time, to answer the same questions over and over again, especially when you've
got someone like myself who often follows one question up with another.
Can't help it, I was that kid the teacher hated who always had to know "WHY!"

Lynn

Lynn Brown - Ebonystar Schipperkes/Angelsgate Rescue
http://www.angelsgaterescue.com/ & http://www.schipperkerescue.com/
Post Office Box 92283 - Long Beach, CA 90809 (562) 428-9832
...special dogs for special people since 1972