[ SHOWGSD-L ] I am curious

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:33:53 EDT

I'm curious about something. . You know we have a lot of people ,who work
at the National show for our GSDCA. I'm talking about the Products
table,Membership ,club office table,the packet table,the Hospitality table,the
Rescue table& catalog table ,Review table ,and several others, Kathy  Steen
,who
was National liaison to the clubs for 5 yrs when the local clubs  were
hosting the National and National Show chairman for 15 years. She felt  that
the
workers had a right to viewing the National as they worked, So she put  the
vendors in a separate area,but the workers tables were right up next to the
 ring. I worked the membership/office table and sometimes included the
packets  table  for at least 15 yrs and was able to turn around ,after
performing my  service to the member and watch the dogs  She always put the
tables
at  the two rends of the ring, so as not to obscure  the view of the
bleacher,or paid seating. So we had to choose which end we wanted (dog or
Bitch)
Mary Roberts,and then Ann 'S Product table was always next to me--then the
catalog,and then when we started  the cash register ,with Ellie Goede that
was next,so everything was convenient for the membership. Now all the years
at Perry,even,when I was President I worked the table and in Perry,all those
yrs  and Burbank,we were up above the bleachers on the large aisle space
,but could  oversea the show when not actively involved in helping a member.
and even when  Debbie took over,she kept to that custom, Even at San Diego,
outside,we were on  ring level on the ground. That was the last time Betty
Hamilton helped me at my  table, Gail Hardcastle and Mary were to my
right,with the packet table and  ANN with the the catolag table to my left.  So
,for
some reason this  service to our working members  has been stopped. I was
shocked in 2004 in  St Louis to find the tables had been pushed out to the
outer wall and chairs for  paid seats ( that no one used ) were up  close to
the ring,  Most  people sat in the free bleacher seats until the Intersex,when
they sat in their  paid seats,or had found that nobody sat there anyway,but
were  available,  I worked the Foundation table with Gene and Andie
Tenges,and  Ralph Roberts.  When I went in 2006,it was the same way, tables not
up
at  ring side ,workers not seeing the show . I think it's a shame . I think
perhaps  we got that 6000 number in our membership because our working
members were there  to help new people and litterly "sign them up " at the
National   I know things change --we do thing differently,but  you don't tuck
your  membership and Hospitality people off in some corner . When did this
stop.  The last table I worked,was at Columbus,where we had a huge crowd. Every
seat  was sold   My table was in a hall way,with others scattered in other
crevices.  Standing room only . When I did take a break , I had to go  to
ringside and stand, up close and personal with the dogs and judging, Art and
Helen Hess came to that show and ran into me as he was looking for seating.
I  think that was the year Ken Downing became President. I'm not blaming or
judging  anyone or anything ,but I'm curious how this change took place when
it was so  productive .Again--I love  and have been,always will be
dedicated to the  GSDCA     Helen Miller Fisher
my GSDCA
**************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.