[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I Am Legend/Good Portrayal of a Shep*.

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:25:20 EST

Will Smith was interviewed on TV last night about the movie and he discussed
the GSD in the movie. He fell in love with her and wanted to keep her, but she
has her own family so that was not possible. According to the interviewer,
the GSD was a "rescue" that the trainer found and trained her for movies,
commercials etc.

I think they wanted a light colored GSD as on film the facial expressions are
more noticible than on a dark head.  If you  remember the K9 dog, I think his
name was Jerry Lee, was also a lighter color but not as light as Sam.

From personal experience, my Hussy was light although she was very red, and
she has been used on numerous canine advertising packaging/advertising
material.  It was always ironic to me that she seemed to be penalized in the
show ring
for her lighter color but that is the very reason she has been used in so
much advertising...my darker dogs, who were also photographed for advertising
material are not  used nearly as much as Hussy.  I lost Hussy several years
ago,
but at least 3 times a year I will see her on product advertising or on the
products themselves in pet stores. So she is always with me. Kind of neat.

She has appeared most recently on the package of Triumph large size dog bones
& Butler Lean Treats along with  a Rottie and Golden, but has also been in
mailers for various products, greeting cards and in the Petco ads several years
ago.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Ch. Rohan's Reward TC, HT