[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hybrid animals

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdramey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:06:06 -0500

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:11:57 -0600, "Norma Ramey"
<gsdramey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>So, where do we get a MULE? ONLY - thru the breeding - by=20
>MAN of a female horse & a male donkey - AND they are all STERILE!
>Aha - same with the mix folks in zoos etc. will do with lions & tigers -=
=20
>all of the offspring are sterile.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
With all due respect, this is not true!!! Hybrid animals will USUALLY
be sterile. However, there have been cases -- granted, they'll be
extremely rare ones, but cases all the same -- where hybrids have not
only been fertile, but have produced fertile offspring. In such cases,
the fertile animal will almost always be female as they tend to cycle
normally and, unlike their male counterparts, all their "girl parts"
work.

On Animal Planet recently, they showed a hybrid cat (forget whether
she was a liger or a tigon) who had a litter of babies with her cage
mate. She "spoke" both cat languages to her babies. I wish I could
remember more, but that was just one case. It was pretty fascinating.
Also, today's zoos do not actively attempt hybridization. Most zoos
are trying to preserve species, and you can't do that by polluting the
available bloodlines. But, as in the case of the cat, accidents
sometimes happen as the animals have minds (and sex lives) of their
own. Oops!  ;)

=3D*=3D*=3D*=3D*
Karen C.
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
   -- Captain Max von Stephanitz, German Shepherd Dog breed founder