[ SHOWGSD-L ] Husbandry and Hypocrisy, or When Fanciers Attack

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:10:54 -0700

FYI
The full article at the link
http://demonpuppy.blogspot.com/2009/07/husbandry-and-hypocrisy-or-when.html
DEMONPUPPY'S WICKED AWESOME ART AND DOG BLOG
WITH SCIENCE AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! ART BY BRETT BOOTH AND JESS RUFFNER

Husbandry and Hypocrisy, or When Fanciers Attack

Toumlilt (Lily), one our Azawakh, raised outside.

If you are one of our small number of readers that actually reads the
dog related posts, you will know that I am adamantly against
legislation that specifies engineering based standards for keeping
dogs. I don't think how big the kennel is, what the dog eats, whether
it's tethered or kenneled, indoors or outdoors, how many dogs there
are in a home, has a damned thing to do with whether the animal is
well-cared for or happy. I much prefer performance based regulations:
is the dog of good weight for the breed, health issues taken care of
or under treatment, has access to food, water and shelter? That is
what I mean by performance based. Dog husbandry, the practice of
caring for dogs, is so extremely variable, that regulations specifying
things like food fed and how often or kennel size do nothing but make
criminals out of law-abiding citizens. Caring for twenty Chihuahuas is
an entirely different thing than caring for twenty Great Danes.
Certainly there are people who have the time, money and skill to care
for many dogs, and those that are unable to take care of even one. New
laws will do nothing against people who would have broken the old ones.