[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hunte...etal

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:30:07 EST

What an amazing thread, and a great debate about what a puppy mill is.  I've
even seen Lloyd Brackett, and Mrs. Dodge put into the same category as folks
supplying pet stores with puppies?  That's something I would have never
expected to read.
Let's go a little farther.  Since Mr. Hunte is obviously wealthy, how
difficult would it be for him to not only finish a champion, but if he hires
the
right people ... have the top winning GSD of all time?  How about top producer?

Boy, wouldn't that make that pet store pedigree worth showing off?

What is a puppy mill?  A puppy mill is a business that produces dogs for the
purpose of making money.  There is no reason to debate how many dogs any
kennel or person can care for at one time.  I've known several breeders who've
had
up to thirty dogs, and spent a full day, every day, taking good care of all of
them.  The question to ask is why they have so many dogs.  There is a world
of difference between having a large number of dogs because you love all of
them, and having that same number in order to produce enough puppies to earn a
living ... even if the dogs owned by the latter are just as well cared for.
Just a note ... Neither of these circumstances includes people who hoard
animals,
which most often is the person we see on the news with dozens of sick and
poorly cared for animals.  That is a mental condition ... not always a puppy
mill.

What has apparently been overlooked is the basic goal that good dog breeders
have always employed ... To breed better dogs.  Unfortunately, I think a
tendency to not see that goal as a dividing line is somewhat a sign of the
times.
Mr. Brackett, Mrs. Dodge, and most larger kennels of the past had that goal in
mind first, and with ample funds available to achieve that goal it is natural
that they acquired a larger number of dogs to maintain their breeding
programs.  They weren't breeding to supply the pet market and earn a living.
They
were trying to produce good dogs, according to the standard.  If you think
about
how things are today, some might mistake that noble goal as breeding dogs in
order to win dog shows.  While both mentioned breeders could boast about many
show winners, it is very unlikely that was their primary goal.  They won dog
shows because they produced good dogs ... They didn't produce good dogs merely
to win dog shows.  There is an important difference that I'm afraid many people
today just do not understand.

I'm not sure I see much of a difference between breeding dogs to make money,
and breeding dogs merely to win dog shows.  Both seem to have personal gain as
the main objective, and the breed as a secondary or nonexistent concern.
Don't get me wrong.  I'm not calling dog show enthusiasts sinners. I believe
that
almost everyone is involved because of their love for the breed, but I do
worry that some may lose sight of their motives in all the glitter that comes
with
winning big in the dog game.  In any case ... Perhaps we shouldn't be judging
Mr. Hunte or his motives.  We will though ... because we love and naturally
want to protect the breed.

Tom Langlitz