[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hunte situation & Marketing!

  • From: Jennifer or John Stark <jstarkgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:01:51 -0600

I've been reading some of these posts and personally think the ideas
of raising puppies of any breed in a mass-production type system is
deplorable.  I'm sure the industrial/corporate kennels are approved
by USDA standards and are maintained well.  I've seen the local
Petland stores and their dogs/pups and what it boils down to, in my
opinion, is setting the stage for more $sales$.

You all know there are buyers who want a puppy NOW, they don't want
to be bothered with going through the time & effort of finding &
being questioned by a responsible breeder, or the inquisition so many
shelters put adopters through.  Pet stores offer instant dogs - any
breed, any time,  no questions asked, and charge cards accepted.
I also think some puppy buyers are trying to be a bit of an educated
consumer, and wants an AKC registered dog and that can maybe look at
an AKC pedigree & see some titles and equate that with something
special (they've seen the Eukanuba or  Westminster show on TV and
heard the hype about Champions, etc).  They may not know what the all
the titles mean, but they're official, so that must mean something.

If what Mr. Hunte is doing is bringing in a Ch GSD bloodlines to his
stock - one shown by what many consider to be the top AKC handler no
less, joining the GSDCA - then, to me,  he's just getting smarter &
better at his marketing plan.  Imagine the sales pitch that will go
along with those puppies!  Eventually you can try arguing with
someone not "in" dogs about why not to buy a dog from a petstore, and
now they can throw back in your face "but they're Ch. lines - just
like YOUR dogs!".  JMO-

Jennifer