[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hunte, AKC and Carmen

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, mcmuse@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:45:06 EDT

Like Hallie, I suspect the AKC Board was looking at the deal in a  different
light than the rest of us.  The only puppies that would be registered  are the
ones from AKC registered litters.  We don't have Petland here, but a
coworker bought a puppy from a petshop last year that was advertised
as 'registered'.  They gave her an address to send away for the  papers, then
when they came back, she came up to me and asked, "What is CKC?"   The
papers were from Missouri, and she was horrified to learn she didn't have  an
AKC puppy (BTW - she didn't ask me before going to a petshop!).  I've  had
puppy buyers come back to me months after buying a pup because they'd
lost the papers and now wanted to register their dog.  That's why I  send the
papers for each puppy myself now - this way I know they are correctly  filled
out and the buyer receives the registration at their home.   AKC  may have
had inquiries from pet buyers who either didn't get the papers, or lost
theirs.
They have no breeder to go back to and I'm sure Petland doesn't keep
records of each puppy's registration papers.

I'm interested in hearing what Carmen has to say, but I don't believe  he
would have voted for anything he thought would hurt responsible  breeders.
Standing up against AKC on PAWS shows he actually reads and studies
an issue before going along with it, and will take a stand if he  doesn't
agree.   Janice Buchanan

In a message dated 10/9/2006 7:13:15 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 10/8/2006 11:48:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
mcmuse@xxxxxxx writes:
I have  spoken with an individual in my  area who is a delegate and I think
that there  are many pieces to the  Petland issue that we either do not know
about or have  not  discussed, such as if these puppies are not registered
with
AKC, they  will  be registered somewhere....Not that I am saying that
response
justifies anyone  supporting the idea, but I think it does lend  itself to
the
idea that maybe  there is more to this story than we  know.  It is very
difficult
to pass  sound judgment without all  the facts.
Hallie  McMullen

------------

We have been  dealing with the Continental Kennel Club registry in this area
for  years.  What we have to understand is that the unaware public only
thinks
of the registration paper (of any registry) as a validation.   The  majority
doesn't even begin to learn about the breed of dog they  purchased until
after
they have it, and usually until after the  problems begin.  Then many  make a
decision >> do we take  it to the shelter and buy another  one????  And many
never  register their puppies, whether they buy them from  a breeder or
Petland.
That part of the process is unimportant to them.   They are  content with
having
"papers".

This is why the AKC/Petland deal was  so good for AKC, they would be getting
registration revenue from  Petland, people wouldn't even care they were
putting
an extra $15 dollars  on their purchase.  By the time they buy the pup, the
crate,  the food the bowls, what is an extra $15?  Start thinking that pups
at
Petland, at least around here, go for $1200, and when they get older  you can

get them on sale for $899.  Fifteen dollars is nothing  on an impulsive,
emotional purchase.

The shame is that AKC,  after all the years of their preaching about people
buying from good  breeders, will stoop so low as to be associated with puppy

mills.  And if you don't think this is wrong, well, I guess we'll  have to
disagree.  Spend a day at the shelter after they raid  one of the puppy
mills, and
try to forget the sights, and the  smells.  Then we can  talk.

Lack of education is the biggest  problem, as usual.

On our side, lets become educated. Lets review these  situations, and learn
the FACTS. Then we can discuss.

I am  very curios to see how each individual director on our board feels
about the Petland deal and about the Hunte deal.  These are the  people
making
decisions for us.  We NEED to know their  thinking, and make sure  they know
ours.
Maybe a poll is in  order.

Ileana
God  put me on this earth to accomplish
a  certain number of things. Right now I
am so far behind, I'll never  die.