[ SHOWGSD-L ] Humiliating Injuries Thanks to Dogs

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:29:39 -0600

Reading about Beryl's situation reminded me of a very painful situation I ran
into some years ago.

While I was living at home in MN, we always had a houseful of dalmatians. It
was when our Rob was a popular stud-dog, we were specialing Morris and had
several Rob offspring.

One, late cold January evening, as so many times before, I took the houseful
outside to the dog area after dinner... Must have been 5 dogs (we only did that
many in the dark as we lived in the city)...  The weather was cold (about 10 I
think), the sidewalk was icey and the dogs were in a hurry to get in... I, of
course was out in jeans and a sweatshirt, but no jacket as I was only going to
be out a few minutes.............. so I thought..

As I let the dogs in, I decided I would run with them - several a head, a
couple behind and I thought they would just run up on to the deck (like they
had THOUSANDS of times before, but noooooo... Not this time... We had a liver
bitch named Sally Brown who decided that she was going to the basement entrance
and instead of going around me, decided in midstep to turn around, cut me off
and run to the side of the house.. I was half way up the steps and slipped,
fell backwards on the ice.

There I lay............ cold.......... dark........ but not lonely as I knew
there were at least four sets of eyes staring down on me... "Mom, what are you
doing on the ground?" As I lay there, I remember thinking... I must be dead...
There is no way I survived this... I only remember my feet slipping off the
steps, rolling under the stairs and landing flat on my back on the cold, hard,
icy concrete.

Slowly, I tested each painful appendage - first my feet, then each hand.. Then
that ever painful experience of sitting upright - which was made more
complicated by the now excited dalmatians covering me in kisses.

I remember crawling up the deck steps and across the deck and pounding on the
patio door... It hadn't occured to anyone inside that something might be
wrong... until I showed up looking beaten and abused.

When I got in the house, I tried to explain my situation and only got a bunch
of laughter... I think I was still swearing under my breath at Sally too.

To this day, thanks to that fall (and numerous others), I see a chiropractor..

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls