[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Huge puppy?

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: zarqa_adonis@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:37:34 -0800

There is no real "rule" about when to switch from puppy to adult.. I feed my
pups Eagle large breed puppy - If they are pups that gain weight easily or
eats voraciously,  I will switch as early as 10 weeks to adult large breed
food. I will, however, keep a puppy that is naturally lean or having high
energy on puppy food longer - but I always use the large breed formulas.

That said, we all know those owners who want a "big" shepherd - pup as well
as adult, and will feed them as much as possible to ensure they are big.
Certainly, we don't breed to produce dogs that would normally be 100 plus
pounds as adults, but if they are fed enough, they sure can be!!! I took an
old bitch to the vet for a friend and the bitch weighed 113 lbs and was
24"!!

I would be grateful to a vet that advised owners to keep pups on the leaner
side.. too often it's the other way around..I think the message the vet is
trying to convey is not to over feed, that the pup is likely going to be a
big dog anyway and that a slower growth rate (so not using puppy food which
promotes faster growth) would result the development of other problems.

My vet, and my brother the vet, have told me more than once that it is the
quality of the food that is important. As long as the adult food is one of
quality (not something like MainStay - YUCK!!)then you are likely provide
good nutrition as well.

Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com/future.htm Updated Sept 7./04!!!