[ SHOWGSD-L ] How "white" GSD come about

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:28:08 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/2007 12:04:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It is  not at all uncommon.  White in GSDs is a "masking" gene. So  underneath
that white (genetically speaking) is another color.  In the  case of these
pups it was obviously sable for at least one of the  parents.
I asked Sherry Wallis about this.  She was in shepherds for years and  then
went on to Northern dogs.  She is the best expert on coat color I know  and has
given many programs on the inheritance of color in different  breeds.>It is
not at all uncommon.  White in GSDs is a "masking" gene.  So underneath
>that white (genetically speaking) is another color.   In the case of these
>pups it was obviously sable for at least one of the  parents.
>

>I have recently heard white referred to  as a "masking" gene, with another
color under it.  So I am going to my  expert source VBG

>Carol Moore

Well, yes and no.   White is actually available through two
pathways...spotting and  dilution.  The white in GSDs is a
dilution....look at it as if it is a  constant bleaching process.  If
you bleach red hair with x amount of  bleach, it's going to be
platinum, right?  OTOH, if you bleach black  hair with the same x
amount, it's probably going to be more yellow,  right?

So the hair is continually being the genetic equivalent of
bleached.  If the bleaching process stops, IOW, if the next
generation doesn't inherit that gene, then whatever the hair was
originally will be shown.

The tell-tale equivalent of "roots" is the  buff or biscuit in the
dog's coat.  The white I had that had puppies  was a genetic sable,
and she had a dark buff line down her back.  After  the sable puppies
were born, from a b&t parent, I realized that the buff  was a dorsal
stripe.  Most sables have this, darker color on the back,  and my
white was no exception.

In Akitas, I see a lot of this.   FI, I have a friend whose white dog
has a spot on her face that is actually  more red that buff, but not
the same red that you'd see in a normal  pinto.  Looks more like a
dusting of red powder.  The dog is  genetically a white, but her
mother was what we call a mismark, that is she  had a solid black head
and then no color on her body.  Well, that black  was too hard to
bleach to white, I guess, so it's that kind of dusty  red.  You can
see lots of pix of white Akitas that demonstrate these  principles,
without getting into the white GSD controversy on my website if  you
look at the article under Dog Information called Pandoras Box of  Noses.

This is a simplistic explanation but it works for all practicle
purposes.  I actually have a paper on the genetic mechanism of what
are called "creams" but which are the white from this dilution
pathway.  BTW, spotting can also result in whites.  This isn't
something that I'd think you'd ever see in GSDs but is found in
Akitas  and other breeds as well, like Aussies and Shelties,
etc.  Dogs that  are white from spotting can be deaf IF the embryonic
melanocytes don't form  pigmented cells in the ear structure.  Same
reason they can be blind,  although this is less common.  One
difference between the two whites is  that the dilution whites don't
have black in their coats, while the others  may well.  Not hard and
fast, but possible.  Hope this answer your  questions.

Sherry E.  Wallis
sherry@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sherob.com