[ SHOWGSD-L ] How well do you know your dog?

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 15:40:20 -0700

How well do you really know your own dog? When I stop to think about this,
animals and children are totally amazing! One time I was riding my horse
with my neighbor, Ruth who lived next door to me. We had a wonderful little
12 acre hobby ranch in Welch, MN. We had beautiful-never-ending places to
ride. Ruth's two children, Dan 7, & Lisa, 5 were home with their dad Jim. At
that time I had a blk/tn GSD, Skipper & my wGS bitch Blanca. Blanca was a
typical bitch that guarded our place well. No one ever dared to get out of
their vehicle or walk onto our property. Blanca was the typical extreme
aloof bitch. She was never friendly to strangers. And one of the most
intelligent shepherds I've worked with. Ruth was very scared of Blanca &
always respected her presence. Blanca hated Ruth's husband, Jim for some
reason. But that's another story. As we were approaching my long driveway
coming home on our horses (Skipper came along with us), I then see something
for a moment that took my breath away. Walking slowly down my long drive way
towards us is little 5 year old Lisa with her hand draped over Blanca's back
walking side by side as calmly as good be. Lisa yells out in excitement, "Hi
mommy!" Ruth freaked out & started to dismount. I immediately told her,
"Cool it! It's okay!" Blanca & Lisa were adorable together. The two of them
friends in some kind of language we sometimes don't comprehend. Evidently
little Lisa walked in-between our house's through the woods that divided our
homes because she knew mom was riding with me. Blanca was never raised with
any children. Just the two of them together gave us this beautiful moment.
And this reinsured Ruth that Blanca wasn't all that bad after all. Sure,
maybe we were lucky nothing happened. But, little Lisa was always a natural
with all animals. At that time Lisa's family had two GSDs of their own,
cats, cattle and horses. Today, Lisa is a veterinarian. Our animals give us
so many marvelous stories & memories that should be shared.  Kathy Partch
www.JoKaySedona.com <http://www.jokaysedona.com/>

http://showgsd.org/mail.html