[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How to judge them

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:59:56 EDT

In a message dated 5/11/2006 6:34:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm sorry,
I have to ask this then.......
why when first getting into showing Shepherds I was told by someone who's
been there (over 25 yrs)to get myself a "name" handler because most
owner/handled
Shepherds either take WAY too long to finish, or don't finish at all.
I was talking to Jimmy Moses this weekend.  During the conversation, he
mentioned why someone else showed his specials bitch at the Canadian National.
He
said she loves him too much, and wouldn't go out on the lead for him well
enough in that type of competition.  She would probably hang back and nip at
his
pant leg. <G>
My wife handled for years.  In that time she took a lot of points on client's
dogs, and very few on our own.  Ronny Gates used to tell me that since Peg
was the handler, I had to be the one the dogs were nuts for.  I tried, but Peg
is always the dogs' first choice, no matter who does the feeding or who spends
the most time with them.  Don't get me wrong ... The dogs love me ... just not
as much as they love mama.

Although there have been exceptions, owner handling usually comes with that
handicap ... if it's possible that a dog's love for its owner can be a
handicap. <G>  With that, consider the things a professional handler already
brings to
the equation ... like knowing what traits and types different judges prefer,
experience in general, or just plain well honed handling skills.  On the other
hand, if you sincerely want to be in the ring, I say go for it.  Just
understand that your decision will make a difference in how well the dog does
over
the long run.  If you have a star, your handling abilities will very likely
slow
the dog down, and possibly cost higher awards later on.  If you can wait for
your wins and honestly work hard at learning to handle and learning the
judges, then go for it.  Keep in mind though, that deciding any judge that puts
up
the pro over you is a crook, is not "learning the judges."  I wouldn't ask
anyone to be so naive that they believe all judges are honest, but I suggest
that
they also not be so novice that they are convinced the whole game is a sham.
The dog game is controlled by people, and so it is as honest, crooked,
brilliant, and ignorant as people can be.

Tom Langlitz