[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How to destroy the breed in three generations

  • From: Vontan@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:30:06 EST

In a message dated 12/07/2004 11:56:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RckyIizard@xxxxxxx writes:
> So...if I avoid a stud dog who has DM, I'm causing a problem because of the
> gene pool?  I don't think so.  If 90% of the stud dogs out there carried DM,
>
> maybe.

Ok first of all Tom said if the dog had a MARKER for DM, not if he were
affected...if there was a marker for DM you could tell if the stud carried the
gene, ok so in turn you would also test your bitch... right?  Now if she
carried
the gene you most certainly wouldn't want to breed her to a stud who also
carried it (or was affected). BUT if she did NOT carry it then why wouldn't you
breed her to a male who carried the gene....IF he was the best male for your
bitch.  The puppies would then have a 50% chance of being carriers themselves,
so
in turn you would then test each before breeding them and breed accordingly.
This is done in other breeds all the time where there are DNA markers for
certain problems.  Knowing what your dog or bitch carries lets you breed
smarter....period
Yvonne
www.creekvue.com