[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How old is too old for another dog?

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:30:22 -0700

Are you ever serious Evan?! LOL Too funny yes! I have a friend who has had
GSDs forever. She's 76, & some months ago got her AKC-CD with her breed CH
bitch & this weekend is doing a Rally trial with her. And she's trying to
get another puppy dog to add. Her husband is 80 & going strong. Never sits.
Is always doing something & is involved with the GSD world too. They are
amazing people & are my mentor's. I truly believe without their shepherds
they wouldn't be this active. You know the saying, "Dog's make our life
whole!" or something like that. Then I knew another lady that lived to be 92
& had 5 GSDs living with her. She had a super place for them. And her prize,
breed CH bitch with titles on both ends also trained for herding & was
always doing something with her guys. Now, the sad part yes, what happens to
the dogs when a person leaves this earth? Well, she did out live her CH
bitch of 13. But she has 4 left at the age of 9. These are puppies she kept
out of the CH bitch because she just couldn't find perfect homes for them.
Anyway, on this lady's death bed - now dying of cancer, she asked her 2
daughter's at her bedside to take the dogs right at that moment & put them
to sleep. I was horrified of those thoughts. The one daughter who had GSDs
of her own said, "Mother are you crazy? I will not do this!" And the other
daughter who hates dogs said, "YES!" The dying lady became furious &
demanded this to be done immediately. The loving daughter told me the 4 dogs
were at her bedside when she demanded this & the whole seen was extremely
heart wrenching. Finally to calm her dying mother down from such a horrible
request she finally agreed to do what was asked of her. Some hours later her
mother passed on. And her loving daughter found all 4 shepherds loving
forever homes. I praised the loving daughter for her good deed.

I sold a puppy to an older couple one time & said I would never do that
again. But I feel if those people always had GSDs in their life, knew what
they were doing of good grace & were still active I would probably change my
mind.

My husband now 68 says he's too old for another shepherd. I disagree -- it
would get him off the couch. So I'm always on him about it.

And for a Raggedy Ann Doll -- There's nothing wrong with that. I hear they
are easy to train...;o) Kathy Partch

The  point of all this, is if people were going to have a NEXT dog,
what are the recommendations for a person going into a 76th  year?

Please let us all hear the  recommendations.

At 68 I am thinking of a Raggedy Ann doll.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/