[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How much is too many?

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: GSD0110@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:11:23 EDT

This thread got me thinking, a bad thing.  I have an ex-sister-in-law who is
like the first bitch.  (And, yes I have been known to call her a brood bitch,
LOL)  Anyway, she has 2 kids with each husband.  My brother being husband #1.
This woman suffers from serious post-partum depression.  The only time she is
"normal" is when she is pregnant.  Well, she now has 3 ex-husbands, 6 kids
and is working on hubby #4.  She is an easy keeper and good producer.  All her
kids are great kids!  OTOH, I had one kid and was done.
How does this relate to dogs?  Well, everyone is different.  Some dogs/people
really take to it.  Others don't.  My daughter is an awesome person and I am
a good mother.  She is a well adjusted young woman.  But, I knew I didn't want
to do that again.

I have a bitch who only got to have one litter.  She was an awesome Mom and
still loves her 18 mos old babies.  Due to other issues she will not be bred
again :-(  My other bitch was an OK mom.  Had 2 litters, but, kicked the pups
out as soon as possible.  She did her job but then was done.  She is me, LOL!

It all depends on your bitch and how she deals with it.  The only thing I
take exception to is people who breed and breed the same bitch, just to have
pups, regardless of how she feels about it.  I do know folks who have had 7
litters with one bitch.  And, one was one of my girl's Mom.  I knew she would
have
the same fate and took her home the day I met her.  This was the OK Mom.  She
would never have survived having litter after litter.

Side note, my vet says that breeding back-to-back is not a bad thing.  But,
she recommends 3-4 litters max.

Bad for me to think, LOL!

In a message dated 6/14/2006 4:57:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
GSD0110@xxxxxxx writes:
In my opinion, that should ALWAYS depend on the bitch.  Some bitches  have
puppies very easily.  They produce milk in abundance, adore their  babies,
and
are more content than at any other time in their lives.  For  some bitches
whelping is difficult.  They don't produce enough milk, they  dread nursing
and
cleaning puppies, and they are stressed during pregnancy and  nursing.

If bitch #1 had 10 litters and was happy, healthy, and well-adjusted then  10
litters was not too many provided that she had healthy well-adjusted
puppies.  For bitch #2 it may be too much to have two litters.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/