[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How many whites are born to a regular colored litter?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:52:08 -0400 (EDT)

The white shepherd breeders I know, and admittedly, I can count them on one
 hand and have fingers left over, do breed to "colored" dogs. The resulting
puppy  would be recessive and then, if more whites desired bred back to a
white  and so forth.  Sort of like the people who "only" breed for coats. I
expect  they want genetic diversity too.

Now, the other question would be, if one is a signer of the breeder's code,
 (and all of our board members, by definition, must be), what should the
answer be for anyone trying for a DQ, serious fault or fault?  They way I
read it, "no".  "No thank you" even...sounds better.

IMO, as a signer of the code, Sheree made the right call.  It's never
pleasant when someone calls on one of your boys and you have to say "no", but
sometimes, for health, temperament, structure, color (!), it's the right
thing  to do.  Learned that from Wynn Strickland <G> who said no to me once
when I wanted to breed a 1/2 German gal to one of her German boys.  She was
right, of course...those would have been some tough kids....brilliant but
tough.  I bet all of the companion puppies would have come back lol.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 8/14/2013 10:09:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Has it  already happened?  Have the white shepherd breeders already
segregated  themselves?
I thought it was interesting what Sheree posted  about the white breeder
asking to bring in a different line.  In other  words,  our regular colored
shepherds would be contaminating thier  lines, but they felt it was worth
the trouble, just this  once.