[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How many litters should one bitch have...

  • From: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:26:38 EDT

Dawn, perhaps you would be happier on a list that is anti breeding, anti
showing, etc. You seem to have found a place where you can espouse your agenda
without reprisal. You are definitely preaching to the choir on this list, no
need to batter us with all this fresh horror, day after day. Do you show dogs?
Do you have a purebred dog? If so, someone had to breed that dog, and make
sure  it had a good home...yours. That is what we do with our puppies, if we
choose to  breed....we work very hard to find good homes. There is a place for
everything  in this world, and a time for everything. This may be the time, but
this  list is not the place.  Syd

In a message dated 10/10/2006 11:21:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Having  been away from this infernal thing for a few days, I fear I have
missed some  of the threads being discussed.. Important threads, such as the
weather for  the national, various brags, who is wearing what to the National
dinner, etc.  Somewhere, amid the questions, there was one post that asked,
"How
many  litters should one bitch have". It appears that there was some rather
heated  debate on this issue. One person replied that it depends on how good of
producer she is; which as we are ALL painfully aware, cannot usually be
proven  until the pups have actually WON something in the show arena, or until
they
 are over the age of six months. This is when they can be OFA'd and hopefully
 all teeth are in and ears are up.
In the meantime, what has become of  those other five or six bundles of joy
who were placed in companion homes? Has  there been a divorce, or a death in
their adopted family? Or worse yet, have  they been unceremoniously dumped in a
shelter because they shed on the  designer couch and their owner couldnt
locate your phone number quick enough?
When trying to determine how many litters are enough, take a moment and go
to the GSDRescue site in your area...look at the faces there who are waiting
for a chance at a decent life. Dogs who are senior and confused as to what
they did wrong to end up like this. Puppys who have been traumatized (like
Diane's little rescue Lilly...such a tortured soul) by people who appeared to
care
at the interviews, only to take the pup home and tie him to a kitchen  table
leg because he was "in the way". Then there are the dogs who have just  had NO
training and been deemed unadoptable....their humans have failed them
miserably and their next stop is a cold table and the blue solution in their
veins.
When you are at the National this year, watching those gorgeous,  well
groomed and fed treasures sidegait around the ring, please remember the  GSD
who is
sitting under a porch with 8 babies...trying to catch squirrels to  feed her
brood, slowly starving to death....the GSD who is chained in the mud  to a dog
house, with scraps to eat and no warm bed; forgotten by his  owner...the GSD
who is used as a bait dog for a pit bull fighting ring; bloody  and near
death...
the GSD who was beaten by his owner with a baseball bat  so badly that he
lost his ability to walk and was spending his life dragging  himself around a
concrete pen at a shelter...
or perhaps the GSD whose  owner had poured muriatic acid on him just for
kicks...
Then ask  yourself....how many litters are enough.
Dawn Restuccia

Get your email  and more, right on the  new Yahoo.com

POST  is Copyrighted 2006.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - URL temporarily deleted due to AOL  issues

SYD  MAILBERG
23910 SE 276TH ST
MAPLE VALLEY, WA  98038