[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How is big better?

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:01:24 -0700 (PDT)

I have and love a dog I feel is too large - does not make me love him less, but
it does make me aware of how nice the correct size is.
Ruth
Tom Elkins <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: The people who are the most
adamant in their criticism of dogs that are too
large always have and always will remain on that soapbox,until and unless
they own and fall in love with a good big one. We tend to adjust our
opinions to fit our biases.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple
  From: BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday,
March 11, 2008 12:26 PM

  In a message dated 3/11/2008 2:38:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

  I  hope we are all speaking to the issue of size from our  experiences??
  try to....

     I don't need to spend too many years breeding over  sized GSDs to
  understand the benefits of a GSD being the correct size.  In my post my
intention was
  to ask how is being larger is BETTER then  being correct size. I was not
even
  implying what oversized GSD's couldn't  do what correct sized GSD's can
AND it
  was certainly not about throwing  away oversize dogs. I was speaking about
the
   word ideal as it applies  to size in our standard. What breeders do in
their
  own breeding program matters  not to me.
     When a judge judges our Breed they should  put away the personal likes
&
  preferences that they apply in their  own breeding program and put up the
best
  representative of the Standard  & our Standard is where my questions where

  meant to be  applied....If a change may be made to the Standard (that's
what the
  list was alluding to) to favor larger animals then I want to know how that

  change would be better for the breed as a whole, not just for those that
make
  it  to the conformation ring. How would larger dogs HELP anything?
Personally,
  I don't want to hear about how larger dogs can do everything  ideal sized
  animals can do... I wish to hear about ways in  which these oversize GSDs
can do
  things  better.. Someone needs to make the case for why larger should be
the
  new ideal. That's why I asked those questions. It was an honest attempt
  get answers. Are the breeders of the GSD & members of GSDCA  attempting to

  change the breed because they LIKE larger dogs or because doing so  would
better
  our breed?

  Bonnie  Jenkins
  BonJen Shepherds
  _www.BonJen.com_ (http://www.bonjen.com/)

  POST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the