[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How I spent Sunday

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bigskygsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:12:53 -0400

The difference between the Kuvasz and Pyrenees and the German Shepherd
is what they were meant for...neither the Kuvasz nor the Pyr is meant
(or ever was meant) to herd...they were bred to protect...and didn't
have to have a human with them.  Kuvasz in particular could be left for
days on end to protect a herd.  Both those breeds still possess very
strong guardian instincts...and almost never will you find one that's
inclined to herd.  Shepherds may do both...the others don't.
    The other thing is that the Shepherd was developed in Germany.
(where the exclusion comes from, as you said)...the Kuvasz is Hungarian,
as are the Puli and the Komondor...the Puli is a drover (not quite a
herding dog, but in that class)..the Kuvasz and the Kom are guard dogs.
Pyrs were developed in Spain, I believe...and are named after the
Pyrenees mountains.  Actually it is a Basque breed..........not quite
Spain but close...sort of.
    Are there any breeds that were developed in Germany which were
allowed to be white?  I can't think of any, but someone is bound to come
up with one.  Maybe a toy dog??????
       I will say that I agree with Evan about the white Shepherds,
although it's been a long time since I judged one of their shows...I was
very pleasantly surprised at the quality overall.
Peggy