[ SHOWGSD-L ] Honoring Military Working dogs

  • From: "Michel Ebertin" <michel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 04:27:43 -0700

Friday, on 11/11/11, for the 11th year in a row, the Grand Canyon German
Shepherd Dog Club participated in the Veterans Day Parade, in Phoenix, AZ.
The purpose of our participation is to honor the work and dedication of
Military Working Dogs who, on an average, each save 150 lives during their
tour of active duty.

As a special tribute this year we were also joined by members of fallen
handlers Colton Rusk and Billy Crouse.  The Rusk family also had with them
Colton's military working dog "eli" whom them adopted.  When Rusk fell Eli
laid on top of him and would not let anyone near his partner.  Billy Crouse
and his dog both died on the same day.  We were most honored to have these
families join us in the parade this year.

The following local clubs participated: Papago Labrador Retriever Club, the
Desert Valley Doberman Pinsher Club and members of the Belgian Malinois AZ
Bight Club.  These are the four breeds mostly used by the military.

In Addition members of the Phoenix Police K9, the Maricopa County Sheriff's
Office and Luke AFB K9 teams marched with us.

All in all we had over 50 dogs, veteran handlers and owners marching in the
parade.

The GCGSDC is most proud to participate in this annual event.

Regards,
            Michel Ebertin