[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Honest Judges

  • From: Danannkennel@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:58:24 EST

In a message dated 1/2/2005 11:45:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
cyndy@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
It's all  part of the strategy of the game, right?
It's like a lightbulb that comes  on for some, and for others,  never.
Aha! This is a very good dog. I  am not going to show it myself because I am
a very bad handler (I AM!),  and yes I will save money in the short haul, but
lose more in the long  run. I will  get frustrated and keep beating my head
stubbornly  against that brick wall - continue to lose and make my dog look
bad.
OR
I will learn from my experiences. I will use what I've  learned to my
benefit.
-You note a bias, you use it to your advantage  or you take your dog
elsewhere.
-You observe a judge does not prefer a  sable dog, you don't show a sable dog
to that judge.
-You learn what  handler's style fits best with your dog's style, and which
do not.
Do  well known handlers get a look because they are great at what they do?
Certainly!
You learn what works and what doesn't, and invest your time,  effort and
money in what works. That's the formula for success!
As much  as I would like it to be so, the dog show game is not just about THE

DOG.
Those who learn the strategy and the rules of the game are those  that win,
right?
And those that don't ever learn the game get burned  out and move onto
another breed, another hobby...and the pattern  continues...
Cyndy Davis
_www.texasdogs.com_ (http://www.texasdogs.com)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I guess I am just totally indoctrinated after all these years but it seems
to me what Cyndi has outlined is the fact of life for most any  endeavor.   You
have to evaluate what you have , what you can do your  self and go from
there.  You learn what needs to be done and how to do it.  if you won't or
can't do
what needs to be done you move on. And expecting  to learn all of this in the
first year is not realistic.

The problem that I have is what the whole endeavor costs to do.  It  never
use to cost so much.  We use to be able to show puppies and novice  dogs just
have fun and get them ready for the time when they could win the  points.  We
never use to have to send the dogs off for training for months  at a time. We
never use to just write checks to cover the cost of  our dogs  being shown on
the other side of the country and not even be there to see it  happen.  I
think these are the reasons so many people are dropping  out

Sally

The House of Nasdaq ROM
Ch's Seiko, Adam &  Ex

http://danann.netfirms.com