[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Honest Judges

  • From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cudjoe@xxxxxxxxxx, rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxx, Stoneshep2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:01:14 EST

In a message dated 1/1/2005 8:54:57 PM Central Standard Time,
hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There is an implication..that the older dog..and the 12-18 are nearly
identical in structure and movement...now..if the 12-18 is the better
dog...and just because the older dog is better handled..is this about
finding the best dog..or finding the best presented dog? There was a case
in E TN where a judge really liked a young bitch...in winners..the
youngster was taken in by a young boy...the bitch initially did not perform
well with the boy..but the judge was knowledgeable enough to recognize that
although the older bitches were presented better..their structure and
movement were not comparable . The judge..recognizing the inexperience of
the young boy..and of the young bitch.gave them a reasonable number of
chances to get their act together...All the judge needed to see was a good
pass..they accomplished this with a couple of tries and with the patience
of the judge!. The young bitch deservedly went WB. the alternative..was to
give perhaps in my opinion a lesser bitch the points..because of
professional presentation.Why does one need to see round after round of
gaiting in winners if all things are not pretty darn equal? I can see a run
off between 2 outstanding dogs...but to put up a lesser dog because of
presentation only..and miss the spectacular dog..is a travesty....I have a
saying.."study long..study wrong..."  To me, a knowledgeable judge will
find the better animal... despite presentation..You cannot deny good
movement and structure...takes a lot more "professional" handling to show a
mediocre dog.to his best advantage...much less to present a dog that is
outstanding C.Grainger
VERY WELL said and I agree.
Lee Brown