[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Honest Judges

  • From: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • To: cudjoe@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:20:54 EST

In a message dated 1/1/2005 6:56:03 PM Central Standard Time,
cudjoe@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Just  suppose:  You, as the judge, give a very good 12-18 mo dog first in  his
class and were thinking, "This could be my winners dog".  The dog  was
professionally handled and that same handler won the open class with  another
good animal.  Now in winners, the pro-handler takes in the  open dog and an
inexperienced or maybe not inexperienced handler takes in  the 12-18 winner.
In winners, the 12-18 will not settle down and never  makes a clean pass
during the judging.  If the 12-18 was handled by  his regular handler there
is no doubt that he would have performed well and  would have been winners
dog but because he was not handled properly he did  not win.  Now the
question is: Should you put the 12-18 up because in  his individual class he
was the better dog but not in winners??  Maybe  this is why a professional
handler is essential if you want a successful  career for a very good dog.
You have to judge each class as if you have  never seen the dogs before and
who ever is the best at that time  wins.  Past performances do not count. As
an owner, you have to  realize that sometimes your dog is not the best one in
the ring or did not  show well when the judge was looking at him.  A judge
does not get to  live with your dog or see him loose at home so our opinions
are judgments  that are made in the show ring while an owners judgment of
their dog is all  encompassing and the owners opinion, if they are not kennel
blind, is most  probably more accurate than the one made in the show ring.
But in defense  of the judge, we judge what we see that day in that ring at
the time we are  observing the dog.   DD.

Very well said D.D.  Whoever believes a professional (or competent)  handler
does not make all the difference is living in LA LA Land.  For an  owner to
show their own animal and be successful, you must have two  things.  Competency
and a dog who will show for that owner, not heal on  lead.

Randy