[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Honest Judges

  • From: "Lindenhill German Shepherds" <Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:53:20 -0600

Rachel, I suggest that at next years National you keep on eye on the
performance of the Winners Dog or Winners Bitch during classes and for
Winners, as well as during specials. These animals may be handled by as many
as three different handlers during the course of the national..If you notice
a difference, in most cases I would attribute that to the team aspect of dog
and handler or perhaps the variation in handling ability.

If you want to look at tapes, I would look for those in particular where the
WD/WB failed to earn a select ribbon or near the end of the select animals.

Handlers have an innate ability to focus a judges attention on the positive
attributes of a dog and perhaps lesson the attention on their faults.
Handlers seem to instinctively know what speed a dog should be presented at
and adjusting to that speed. Many non-handlers typically run at their own
speed and not that which is optimum for the dog. Handlers tend to know what
pet peeves the judges have about the dogs exhibited to them, and make
entries accordingly.

I also think there is a distinct advantage as an owner(in a specialty ring),
to be double handling outside in a big ring. Boy do dogs look good presented
that way. At attention and focused(much like herding sheep) as they make
those incredible passes. I love sitting in a lawn chair at eye level
watching dogs exhibited out of doors. Cabin fever must have set in early,
I'm already yearning for the futuity season to begin.

You are correct, it is the Judges responsibility to "See All" in spite of
all of those handlers tricks, but these guys are gooooood at what they do. I
also find it is more cost effective to use a handler, particularly for
specialty shows if you have an animal you feel is of the quality that would
be competitive at the National .

Just some of my thoughts on the subject.