[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Home check to join a club?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 20:55:00 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/2007 8:04:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I chuckled when I saw this....I cannot believe that in this day and age  of
fighting BIG BROTHERISM, AND PRIVACY VIOLATIONS that anyone would consider
this to be a positive way to gain new members...lol.....most people I know
would
not only be insulted and annoyed, but would probably tell any club doing  so
EXACTLY where they could stick their "home checker"..
Too funny...but thanks for the smile.
Kathy

Well, think this through...visits are made to folks who wish to apply who  we
(the board and members) simply don't know.  We have home visits right on  our
web site's membership page, no secrets.  No privacy violations.   They don't
HAVE to apply after all. We have members very active in all venues so  unless
someone is brand new to dogs SOMEBODY must know them, has more than  likely
socialized with them and will vouch for them.

If they've just bought their first pet puppy and are looking to join, most
likely they've gone through a home visit from the member who sold them a puppy
and referred them to the club.  That works. If they didn't buy from a
member, we'd love to have them, but I can't see where they'd be offended by a
visit.  Like I said, when I joined, a board member came to lunch and spent  a
lovely afternoon.  I was delighted and we're friends to this day.   Joining
obviously meant more than being able to sit upright and having a  few $$$ in my
pocket. OK, I didn't have to give them my financial  statements like I would
some
other private clubs, but at least there was  SOME criteria <G>. I'm not naive;
I know she took notice of how the dogs  looked (good...OK the old guy was
carrying a few extra lbs. <G>) and were  kept (house dogs, they shared lunch
too,
especially the old guy, hence the few  extra....), but WHY would I even want
to be a member if  how the dogs were  cared for wasn't important to...you
guessed it...a dog club!

Our club members go out of their way when people call with issues with dogs
they have or looking to rescue to invite them to a general meeting, a match, a
 show, whatever we have going on.  Heck, we see people buying food in pet
stores w/ a GSD and introduce ourselves.

The people we want to weed out from membership are the BYBs (and we have
PLENTY locally) who wish to use the club as validation, list litters on the web

site etc., and so far, thank God, the membership requirements INCLUDING
signing  that they will abide by the PC's breeder's code (MANDATORY), and
inviting
one of  us over for coffee have done just that.  Trying to get them out once
they  are a member would be a nightmare (remember the Hunte issue w/ the parent

club???), so, in our world, a little caution at application time is a good
thing. Now, if the BYBs would like to come to our  general meetings  and
events, the more the merrier and in fact some do come to matches and  shows.
EDUCATIONAL meetings/dinners are open to all. Maybe the BYBs  will get a feel
for
breeding with a purpose other than puppy sales, who  knows?

So, glad I gave you a chuckle, but realize we have a vibrant, active,
fiscally sound club at a time when many are griping about few members and even
fewer volunteers to hold their events.  I'd say we're doing a lot of things
right:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds