[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hobby breeder guilty

  • From: Medusasmom <medusasmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD-List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:55:38 -0500

And herein lies the problem.everyone who know me know my dogs are my family and
treated as such. I have Been a hobby breeder since I was a teen and saved for 2
years to purchase the best bitch I could find. At that time I had 2 small
elderly mixed breed dogs ( where I learned to love dogs and decided to make
sure they were a major part of my life)my beloved 1st Shepherd who was a pet
but showed me "my breed" and taught me how awesome Shepherds are. I saved &
saved for my Zeto daughter and in a couple years had a litter an produced my
first ROM bitch and then 2 multi Best in show brothers. My Grandma passed and I
took her teenage dog as well as took back a dog from my first litter whos owner
passed away. In about 3 years I had 12 dogs, had bred 2 litters to improve on
my dogs and be able to utilize a 11 yr old sire to incorporate old lines I
wanted in my dogs. I lived in town and took incredible care of my dogs. I think
all hobby breeders have a number in their mind that they know is the max they
want or can have and do justice to them. all. At times we all go over that
number  but I know I always worked extra hard to get back to or below my
comfort number. Mine was 10 an I occasionally went to 13 or 14 for a bit if I
were growing out a couple babies or looking for a good co owner. My little
mixed breeds an my grandmas dog werent going anywhere. My first Shepherd was
like my child she was there forever, my Zeto daughter was my foundation and to
this day one of the top ROMs in history. I was showing in
Obedience,conformation,teaching.classes and had a litter about once a year to
get my next generation. I loved co owning and when my numbers were up I would
search out co owners for my best pups I would love to keep but knew I was
stretched too far at the time.
What Im trying to say is, you cant put a number on what I feel I can handle and
do correctly without my dogs and or neighbors suffering for it. I had a large
fenced yard and put up 4 runs. I had my house dogs and my rotating dogs but I
always made sure everyone got "me time". I had 6 bitches together as full time
housedogs and the 3 little ones(2 males an a bitch)my BIS male was 50/50 in and
out and the couple I was actively showing were out alot for coat growth. I had
an occasional complaint on smell in the Spring( when the snow melted and the
yard became "Shmud" until it was dry enough to clean and put down ag lime to
keep smell down but I had spoke to or mailed all my contact numbers to the
neighbors telling them I wanted them to please contact me if they ever had a
problem with my dogs and we could resolve it together. Outside the one neighbor
who let her dog roam an mine barked at it ( so she complained mine were
barking) I had 3 animal control visits in 19 years. They knew I showed and
occasionally had a litter and that I kept my numbers at or near 10,let none
roam,kept them reasonably quiet,picked up after & was accessible to my
neighbors if they had an issue to discuss.
I do not know Danielle either but I feel for her situation. I know how easy it
is to get to a number like 17. If she feels she is handling that number and
doing justice to the dogs and her neighbors good for her. Though my own health
does not allow it anymore I personally dont think a couple litters a year even
3 is a puppy mill or commercial kennel. Haven't we all or many of us bred a
bitch thought she missed and bred another then had that gorgeous older girl
whos missed the last 3 times you bred her came in an you breed her "hoping for
a little her" but expecting she will miss. Of course in this situation all 3
will deliver nice big litters within days of each other blessing you with about
25 puppies in the dead of winter! It happens!! A puppy mill or a poor hobby
breeder pulling their hair out in disbelief that this happened to them?!?
 Good luck Danielle! Thank you for fighting the fight we all might have to
someday join you in. I wish I could help more. In my healthier days I would
have loved to join your fight and use the opportunity to educate the public and
the lawmakers an courts. To all with numerous dogs remember the guidelines I
learned so long ago. Meet your neighbors, give them your contact numbers but be
vague about your number of dogs. The best answer is"it changes, Keep your dogs
and yard clean. Plant fragrant climbing greenery by fences. If neighbors are
having an event(open house,cook out etc) be kind bring your dogs in ( or at
least the barkers) keep your dogs quiet! ( i actually got my neighbors opinions
as to a fair time to have them in or quiet by. If animal control knocks on your
door, make sure that the only thing they can find you in noncompliance is with
the number of dogs.

Remember when the catch phrase in regards to getting a dog was: Buy From A
Breeder? Remember when those who did health clearances,researched breeding
partners extensively,did the best breeding we could to the best sire for our
girls where ever he was because we were doing the breeding to get better dogs
for ourselves not to get puppies to sell to the public? Remember when
homeraised underfoot with children & temperament aptitude tested Were GOOD
things? When did it change? When did we become the bad guy? When did we become
part of the problem?

Buy from a breeder has become Better dead then Bred & I missed the memo when it
changed!

Now adopt,rescue,rescue,resuce is the message! Remember when Obama wanted a dog
his allergic child could have? Remember when Biden wanted a German Shepherd?

Not sure how to even say this without insulting someone an it probably should
be a seperate post but heavy on my mind right now. I am bothered by the fact
that joe Q Public can let Trixie breed with King so the kids can see birth an
play with puppies till they get stinky messy and loud then they dump all 11
mixed or poor quality purebred puppies with no shots a belly full of worms and
patchy rings around their eyes at the pound, humane society or stand in walmart
parking lot with a box saying free puppies! This after posting them with a $50
"rehoming fee" on one of the free classified sites. Yeah they rehomed 3 of them
and made $150!! Pure profit because the pups are still nursing so they didnt
even buy dogfood! The rest of the pups that dont go can be dropped off in the
overnight intake pen and not another thought about them. Rescue will vet,
socialize,foster and find homes for them! 11 homes that other dogs could have
had if Mr Public had not had this litter. He made money, gave the kids toys for
awhile then ditched them. You can be sure in about 4 months Trixie and King
will be contributing another dozen or so babies into the pet overpopulation
problem! And... Because they are both black an tan with prick ears and look for
the most part purebred, they will add to the statistics for our breed! Somehow
in some warped way, Danielle,myself and YES YOU are blamed for these puppies,
this breeding and god forbid one of them bite someone, thats our fault too!!!

I take back my puppies, older dogs for any reason. I donate and foster and
rehome others dogs usually Shepherds but any that I can help in need. But when
I tried to advertise to rehome a lovely 3 yr old Shepherd and asked for $100
rehoming fee that I would use to buy him a crate & pay for 1/2 an obedience
class, my ad was removed and someone placed one stating I was a "known breeder"
trying to get rid of a dog that couldnt reproduce. People are so anti breeder
now that they would rather deny this dog a home then have anything to do with a
"known breeder" When did this happen and how are we going to change it?

Sorry I got off topic sorta but it is really heavy on my mind.
Tami
T-Ho Shepherds since 1979

Medusasmom...forever
Sent from my iPhone