[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hoarding???

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

We had someone contact us offering to be a foster for a GSD. We referred them
to a Rescue in the Northeast (remain nameless) who in turn contacted the
offering person.
Because she had 5 dogs of her own (all vetted, excellent references, fenced
yard, all altered) the Rescue would not allow her to foster and called her a
hoarder! I felt HORRIBLE as I had been the connecting party, only to have her
insulted.
I had 5 dogs at one point   all are clean, well fed, vetted, and spoiled
rotten. I have more people in absolute SHOCK when I tell them this, yet if I
had said I had 5 kids, I would have gotten smiles and "oh, wow you are so
brave!".
I can put my dogs in a crate  or a kenne  and hire a sitter  and they do NOT
ask for my car keys, or keep me up at night waiting for lights from their car
in the driveway.
I remember when I DID have SIX kids   no crates  no kennels (coulda used them
too! We learned the benefit of dutch doors) and NO one wanted to watch them! It
was pandemonium! Their rooms would have rivaled the homes of the worst hoarder.
A potato took root and grew under one of the beds,
sending out tentacles that resembled a LARGE spider sending one Princess
screaming into the street. The 5 feet to the closet was too far for anyone to
walk, so the corner chair began to grow a clothing tree of Ralph Lauren jeans,
Willi Smith shirts, Victoria secret bras....trying to locate the errant
clothing item was akin to a Safari...without benefit of a gun.
Someone would always forget to feed the rat, and when anyone offered to walk
our Lhasa, I became VERY suspicious. One kid wanted a tarantula to add to her
menagerie. We had Chatty Cathy dolls that had Metallica music coming out of
their stomachs, school artwork depicting crime scenes with chalk lines of
bodies and headlines that read "Santa wont be coming to EVERYONES house this
year...please donate to the School Santa"..(THAT one got a call from the
principal asking me what the heck was wrong with my kid), an 18 year old
blindfolded niece holding up a sign that read simply "HELP".
If those people from Animal Planet want to see a REAL hoarding situation...they
shoulda visited our house....
Dawn