[ SHOWGSD-L ] History,Memories,and Tribute

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsreview@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:23:51 EST

Back in the "good Ole days" there were very few professional handlers. Just
me ,Ginny Collins,Gin McCoy,and Denny Kodner At that time ,in order to  be a
licensed handler,you had to sent photos of your kennel,etc to the AKC.Of
course we had women breeder,owner handlers also,like Ann Mesdag, Cappy
Pottle,and
Helen Polinitza. But when the young Gail Sprock came on the scene,it  changed
the whole next generation,and the female side of handling. Up until that
time,GSDs were mostly a"man's sport "--a carry over from Germany,I'm sure,
Gail,with her long legs,her gift and rapport with the dogs,her energy,her easy
pleasant manner,brought a whole new style of handling to the sport,and many
ladies and young girls jumped in with both feet. Now it is such a common thing,

that we have a large number of gifted knowledgeable women ,who handle,but  Gail
was a forerunner. Gail also served on the GSDCA Board for a term,but that
was at the time that the Board had taken over the running of our National,and
because all Board members had to work at the National,it posed a conflict for
her. As any other handler,it was,as it is today,--Futurities and the  National
are their bread and butter. Being such a talented person,so  she chose  to
write a yearly magazine "The Best Of". Along  with many informative articles
and
 winners pictures,she started the  interviewing of one GSD personality per
year. She was very successful at  this,and this was one of the reasons she was
chosen to take over the Review.
On a personal level,I've known Gail since she first started showing GSDs.
She exhibited under me for many years,with many different dogs. She had a
eye,and the talent,and always brought me a beautifully groomed,excellent
moving
dog ,with a shoulder. I was with her ,when she was on the  GSDCA Board, enjoyed
her wit, and her intelligent suggestions to the  Board.
She came up to the Minn area one summer in August for our local Specialty
show and two all breed shows. She decided I should be a subject for her yearly
interview. We spent 3-4 hours, checking out my kennel,and dogs.then went into
my  home for several hours of interview. She was nothing but thorough  <VBG>
I feel terrible about what has befallen Gail. My sister  has the same horrible
disease,and it is a tragedy for anyone who has it. My  heart goes out to
her,and I'm sure thousands of us feel the same way. Bless you  Gail. We are all
with you with our prayers. Helen Miller  Fisher