[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hip question

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dlholliday@xxxxxxx, Showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:47:42 -0800 (PST)

        DOBERMAN PINSCHER   104  11884  17.7  6.1

  We should as the Dobby people what they are doing
  Terfry

diane holliday <dlholliday@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On another list I am on, they are discussing dog breeds. Several
posters have mentioned that they love german shepherds, but do not
want to risk getting another one due to the high incidence of bad hips.

Although many of us who have been in this breed for very long know
the heartbreak of owning a dog who was disabled due to HD or had to
be put down early, I think that due to responsible breeders using OFA
ratings, and trying to research pedigrees before breeding their dogs,
that the frequency of HD in gsds seems to be going down in recent years.

I didn't see the conclusive information I wanted on the offa.org
website in the statistics section.

I did find that of the german shepherd dogs whose hip xrays were
submitted, 19 per cent are dysplastic.
http://www.offa.org/hipstatbreed.html

Does anyone have a link to how this compares to previous years in the
way of a trend?

Diane Holliday
POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original