[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hip, hip hurray

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:02:35 EST

In a message dated 11/16/09 9:44:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
vande001@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Have we  improved hips by all of our x-raying or are we just filling the
coffers of  vets and the OFA?

I can speak for myself, we see few bad hips. You will never get rid of it,
but this year, with 15 select males, two were too young to x-ray, and of
the  other 13, 10 had OFA good hips.

We, the GSDCA was the first club to support the OFA with donations. We
began a program to improve hips and made great strides. Because we were the
first we may have reached a level where we can't go much further, but
certainly  it is a tool to use in breeding.

I am not impressed with Pen Hips, but that is another story.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/