[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hey OFA: :-p

  • From: "Patrick" <pgreen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 19:05:13 -0700

    Jamie I found this boy (attached pictures) a pet home last year because
OFA said he had grade one DJD in his right elbow.  He was never going to be
Grand Victor but he was a really nice boy.  If you look at the OFA website
and look up DJD it says there that grade one should not be taken out of the
gene pool but darn few people that I know would knowingly breed to a grade
one.  That's not me guessing either, I asked around at shows, in Calif.,
Ariz., Nevada, New Mexico, etc.  So I have no clue what are we suppose to
do.  There certainly was no point in bothering to finish him was there?  The
one thing that I did discover in my talks with people at shows about this is
that there is a deep distrust toward the OFA and it's getting deeper.  Maybe
someone from the OFA needs to address this in a future Review.  As well as
what it means to a breeding program using excellent, good, fair, etc. in
hips.  We could all use a little more solid information.
    Patrick