[ SHOWGSD-L ] Heroes in our own ranks - from Siriusdog.com

  • From: "Cyndy Davis" <cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:51:28 -0700

Not to discount the dog who saved the boy, but only to point out the large
number of heroes we have in our own ranks. I will send several articles on
this subject, some very recent heroes.

I notice the German Shepherd dog is referenced more than any other breed.
That is something to be proud of.
Cyndy

Canine Heroes Not to be Forgotten!
by Unknown Author © Copyright April, 2000 - 2007

Dedicated to the memory of all those who served in Italy, France, Russia,
Belgium, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, and Great Britain all have formal
monuments and decorations dedicated to war dogs by the military
organizations under which they served. War dogs in other countries have also
been awarded medals and other forms of official recognition for serving
their countries. Of all of the countries to employ the use and help of dogs
during times of war, the United States military stands alone as the only
world military to not formally acknowledge the contributions made by its
canine soldiers. Due to a policy that has existed since World War II, and
despite the protests of armed forces personnel, the United States military
refuses to formally recognize the accomplishments of its canine soldiers,
stating that such recognition is "demeaning to servicemen."

Nearly four thousand dogs served in Vietnam and saved up to 10,000 American
servicemen through their scouting and sentry duties. When withdrawing from
Vietnam in 1973, the military classified the dogs as surplus equipment to be
left behind during evacuation. Many dogs were left with South Vietnamese
allies who were afraid of the dogs and didn't know how to handle them. Many
of the dogs were euthanized, and many more perished at the hands of their
inexperienced South Vietnamese handlers. Only a handful of Vietnam war dogs
made it back to the United States. Many handlers and trainers who worked
with these dogs were traumatized by having to leave their faithful
companions behind, stating that the dogs saved their lives and often did
more work than they did.

Relegated to the status of military equipment rather than personnel, dogs in
the U.S. military are drafted for life and are euthanized once they are
deemed infirm and incapable of continuing their jobs. The military claims
that these dogs are incapable of being retired to civilian life, despite the
fact that police dogs, which receive identical training, are successfully
and peacefully retired to loving homes and families upon retirement. As a
result of the indifference shown toward war dogs, many of their
accomplishments have been unjustly forgotten, or at best, relegated to the
status of "trivia" by war buffs. Many of the records of war dogs and their
handlers have been lost or destroyed, and the public remains largely unaware
of the contributions by dogs in the armed forces.

It is hoped through this email that these dogs will be remembered and
appreciated for the services they provided for our armed forces and to our
country. Please forward this email to as many dog lovers as you can so that
these canine heroes are not forgotten.

Not Forgotten are . .

SARGE 1A43, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

PRINCE 55-M-9, German Shepherd mix, Vietnam.

LUKE, black Labrador Retriever, Vietnam

PATCHES, Vietnam, one of the few war dogs given passage back home to the
United States.

NEMO, German Shepherd, wounded in Vietnam, one of the few war dogs given
passage back home to the United States.

LISLE, German Shepherd-Collie mix, served the U.S. Army in the early 1980's.

THOR, German Shepherd, Desert Storm.

BUNS, German Shepherd, Desert Storm.

SMOKEY, German Shepherd, Desert Storm.

BANDIT, German Shepherd, Desert Storm.

ASTOR, German Shepherd, Desert Storm.

PENNY, Beagle, Desert Storm.

TOSCA, Belgian Malinois, Desert Storm.

NERO 304J, Belgian Malinois, Desert Storm.

CARLO, Belgian Malinois, Desert Storm.

During a ceremony in which Carlo's handler received the Bronze Star for his
service in Kuwait, his handler removed the medal from his own uniform and
pinned it to Carlo's collar, saying, "Carlo worked harder than me. He was
always in front of me."

PASJA, Belgian Malinois, euthanized for being too old to continue serving.

JACK, Bull Terrier mix, Union army, U.S. Civil War.

GENERAL, Saint Bernard, 14th North Carolina Infantry, Confederate Army, U.S.
Civil War.

ROBERT LEE, Troupe Artillery, Confederate Army, U.S. Civil War.

STUBBY, Bull Terrier mix, WWI. The most decorated war dog in U.S. history.
His stuffed remains, ashes, and medals are currently stored in a packing
crate in a storage room of the National Museum of American History, which
considers the dog an "oddity with little educational merit."

NORMAN SADLER, Fox Terrier, fundraiser during WWII.

RONNIE, German Shepherd, WWII, U.S. Coast Guard Dog Patrol.

VALENTINE 3F38, German Shepherd, died in Vietnam.

ROYAL 19X8, German Shepherd, Vietnam, killed in action.

DUKE 383M, German Shepherd, Vietnam, killed in action.

CLACKER, German Shepherd, Vietnam, killed in action.

KREIGER, German Shepherd, Vietnam, killed in action.

PONCHO, German Shepherd, Vietnam, killed in action.

DUKE 645f, German Shepherd, Vietnam, missing in action.

EBONY, German Shepherd, Vietnam, 47th Scout Dog Platoon.

DUFFER, German Shepherd, Vietnam, 212th Sentry Dog Co.

SUZIE, German Shepherd, Vietnam. Her handler gave her his Bronze Star.

KRISTIANNA, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

WARRIOR, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

COMMANDER, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

WINSTON, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

TIMBER, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

CLIPPER, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

ORION, German Shepherd, left behind in Vietnam.

SMOKEY, German Shepherd, nicknamed "Flop," left behind in Vietnam.

WOLF, Vietnam.

REX, German Shepherd, nicknamed "Punky," Vietnam.

YORK, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

DUKE, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BOY, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

NASTY, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

ZORRO, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

MAX, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

KOENIG, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BRIAN-4M4, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

KING, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

KIESER, German Shepherd, Vietnam

HUDSONS KING, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

RUSTY 775E, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

IRKO, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

TIGER, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

INK, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

REBEL, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

CHIEF, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

SMOKIE 6X65, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

SLIM SN# 84M6, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

PUDDLES 807M, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BRUISER, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

ROGER 3M84, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

DUKE 847A, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BUDDY A601, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BIG BOY, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

TARZAN W195, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BLITZ, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

GARDO 86XO, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

MACK, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

ERIC, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

FRITZ 584F, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

GEISHA A871, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

DOBE 7X49, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

REX 75M3, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

SHEPPY, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

CLYDE, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

CHEROKEE, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

SPOOK 235X, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

BUFFY 87M3, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

KNIGHT, German Shepherd, Vietnam.

And countless other dogs, known and unknown, that served their country.  If
only the leaders of this nation could serve us so well and so honestly.
Maybe this world would be a better place.

"The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of
appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of
[wo]men." - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

Cyndy Davis
www.texasdogs.com
Callian German Shepherds

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice.
Join Now.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline