[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Here's what Ireland did

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:36:39 -0400

    I don't know about Ireland, but "council housing" has been pretty
much phased out in England (the whole UK?) as far as I know.
Also  "HUD housing" is a big misnomer.  HUD housing is usually what
people call public housing.   There is assisted housing, which is usually
Section 8 housing (vouchers, usually) and there is public housing.,
which is completely different.
    Public housing in this country allows pets...I take full credit for
that, since it was my pet project when I worked at HUD.
Council housing in the UK was comparable to the "projects" in our larger
cities...in other words, public housing...administered locally.  In our
country,
most public housing can equate to slums...but not all of it...just as in
the UK, council housing was the dregs...but over time, it's either
improved or been
torn down in most places.  The stigma attached to people who lived in
council housing was as bad as it is here to public housing.
   However...the term "HUD housing" is tossed about without a real
understanding of what it is...and it is NOT necessarily "project" housing.
Peggy