[ SHOWGSD-L ] Here's the follow-up

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:29:30 -0700

> If you can't take your dogs, you can't take them.  It isn't a choice we made
> lightly in any way, shape or form and if she would have read this, it would
> have added to her pain.  I'll check out the rescue but then we have no input
> on who/where they go and THAT is what we need.

Breed rescue will keep your dogs until a suitable home is found. I would not
add to your partner's  pain in any way, and I don't know the specifics of
your situation.

BUT, FREE is dangerous.  A breed rescue is committed to finding a
responsible home. These are people who LOVE your breed.

You need to trust people who commit their lives to finding good homes for
dogs of specific breeds. These are folks from the trenches.

You may still be able to have input. The Freecycle list is vast, and there
are no qualifications. I love my dogs, and I know you love yours. PLEASE
place them with people who have their best interests at heart.

Fran

> I will trust you and thank you for your advice.  Believe me, if there were
> anyway we could take the.. we would in a heartbeat.  It isn't always as simple
> as a 'choice'.
>
> We figured 'free' would open it up and that people would know we aren't trying
> to make a buck.  This is painful.  I'll check out the rescue places.. I just
> have little experience with that and don't know anything about that but I'll
> take a look.
>
> Thank you for your advice. It is appreciated.

Thank you. I appreciate your trust.

"Making a buck" isn't always bad. The rescue organizations will ask a
minimal fee, and will follow up. They will ask that your dogs be neutered,
vaccinated, tested for heartworm and evaluated for temperament. Your dogs
should be fine. They will evaluate potential homes. They will see how your
dogs interact with the potential adoptive family.

PLEASE remove them from Freecycle. I have no axe to grind; I just love dogs.

Fran