[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Herding with Dogs stresses sheep???

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:33:05 -0700

How odd!
I've helped at Trials and been to many  ( ducks and sheep )  and had several of
our dogs herd and earn
H.T. titles to HSAS titles  and even tested very young dogs and I've only seen
one injured sheep....and
that was when working at our Club's Trial  when a big Bouvier ( sp )  tried to
take one out.
The handlers, judges and trainers we've been around usualy never let it
accelerate to that point.    Also the
ranch we normally take our dogs to for training IS a top Malinois
Breeder.......about ALL of her dogs are
titled....??     Of course she has the knowledge to know which ones to herd
with and which ones to NOT. <G>
Of course the sheep are stressed.......<G>.......as any time they are being
pushed to move by a big dog,  and
not grazing they are not happy.  <G>     You want a dog that stresses them as
little as possible when moving
them and willing to stop when asked ......if not instinctively on their own.
The idea is to have a dog stay wide and not move the sheep too
fast..........and a 'good' herding dog is willing
to do both .......while learning that and AKC rules from the trainer.   If the
dog is not willing to do any of the above
it is not a good herding prospect.  IMO
For a trainer to constantly protect the sheep from the dog.... while forcing
the dog to go through certain moves
and direction is NOT what you want to see in a herding dog!

You are talking about a lot injuries.......and that is just plain UGLY to see
it that much and to that degree!!

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com