[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Herding GSDs

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>, <ejdegen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:06:53 -0700

Hi Sarah;
I don't think you are really confused so much as not paying attention.
The sites you attached are not "working farms"....so much as breeder/
trainers
that have the facilities to train for herding and their sites are
advertising
that.
There are many show breeders that have the same..or they take their dogs to
herd
at such facilities.   Some of us are interested in herding, some
showing..some at
All Breeds, some at only Speciaties...some both, or all... and some neither.

The STANDARD REMAINS THE SAME.
YOU have a responsibility to learn the Standard...see it at work in a good
dog..know
WHY it is a good GSD according to the GSD Standard.
If you are really interested in Herding or showing in Specialties or All
Breeds, then
go to the shows, the trials, the training facilities and always have your
eyes
and mind open to the Standard and the reason for it to the detail.  Really
watch the
dogs move...know a ground covering powerful stride compared to a 'busy'
stepping dog.
KNOW what a good croup is, a good back, a long correct stride...a good
strong working
drive and a dog that can utilize its own body and mind to do the work.
A good show dog can herd sheep all day long...a good GSD WANTS TO!!
Personally....we have put herding titles on ONLY show dogs.  They have all
been
quick and easy....and we have yet to have one that has problems moving the
sheep.
Our trainer often lets our dogs herd about 15 - 20 sheep around her ranch.
* IMO The hardest part about training a good GSD to herd is teaching it to
follow the
AKC rules inside of an arena.  Most already have the instinct to herd...they
just
need to learn each new AKC rule as they go for higher titles past the H.T.

You can only ask so much.....and even then you need to seek your own
answers.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Sarah Minsk   Subject:Re: Herding GSDsJulie Degen,

Sure...here are a few.... I really like Aiko and his owner is very nice to
talk too:

http://www.kleinenwiese.com/Blog/

http://www.whitecloversheepfarm.com/sh-home.htm

http://www.tehillahgermanshepherds.com

Here is a neat site I found very educational....
http://www.german-shepherdherding.com/german-shepherd-herding/

Sarah

On Sep 18, 2013, at 12:45 PM, Julie Degen wrote:

> Please tell me who these numerous GSD breeders are that are breeding
specifically for herding
on working farms?  I honestly want to know.  > Julie Degen
                        *****************************************>
> On Sep 18, 2013, at 12:24 PM, Sarah Minsk   Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> My confusion continues...case in point. Breeders tell me that the german
shepherd has to have this
"huge" effortless movement because it is the most efficient for herding
sheep all day long. However,
I have studied the herding lines extensively and have been in contact with
numerous herding breeders
(working farms not trial dogs) and there is a true disconnect. People say
the gsd must move huge to
be able to herd sheep effortlessly all day but all the real working
sheepdogs
(who actually work on farms and are not just titling) do not move like the
showdogs!
That is why I am confused.