[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hemangioscarcoma

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 20:55:18 -0500

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:21:47 EST, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
wrote:=20

>If there is one positive thing re hemangioscarcoma of the spleen the =
dogs =20
>don't suffer.  I was told by numerous vets that they felt a little off, =
a =20
>little "punk", weak, like we would if we were coming down with the flu.

I lost my old Simone (White Shepherd bitch, 11+ years old)
to this. Her tumor was on her spleen and she bled out when
it burst. The day that happened was a totally ordinary
day. She got up bright and early, went outside and ran
around with our setter, ate a full lunch, begged to go for
a long walk (and did so), slept the mid-afternoon away,
did some clicker training and ate a full dinner. Then she
asked to go outside in the early evening and simply laid
down in the cool grass and refused to get up. I went to
check on her and that's when we noticed her gums were
white. Rushed her to the emergency vet where they did an
emergency blood transfusion and stabilized her. The next
day, our vet performed a rather heroic emergency surgery
to remove her spleen. But she never recovered from the
surgery. There was just too much damage I guess. We
finally had to let her go.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never let her
linger or even tried for the surgery. But she was so
healthy (or we thought) and full of life. She didn't seem
like she was the least bit ready to die. We thought she
deserved a chance, no matter how slim. Poor old girl. I
really miss her!

God... I FREAKIN *HATE* CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :(

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx