[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hemangiosarcoma cancer study?

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:05:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi.

  Someone had written about a cancer study in a past review but I have not yet
heardback on where the study is so I was hoping someone could help me.  Talking
with Ava's owner yesterday, her vet feels she "may" have had hemangiosarcoma, a
very rare tumor which attacks the spleen and heart. Her vet has only seen/heard
of 2 cases in the past 6 years prior to this past weekend. It is rarely caught
beforehand, and aggressively attacks the body over a very short time span, most
owners do not know until their dog is dying that it was even there.  The reason
her vet thinks this is she had another German Shepehrd come in this past
weekend, 6 yrs. old.  When they took the xray (10 min after dog had symptoms,
the dog was being boarded there) theysaw the spleen covered in blood and blood
traveling up toward the heart.  Later when the dog was xrayed again, the heart
was surrounded by blood, just as Ava's heart was when she was xrayed.  For Ava
though it took an hour to get to the vet
 due to it being late at night which is why they did not see the blood
traveling as they did in the other dog.  Both with Ava and this other
Shepehrd,when they were both put down blood poured out of their mouths (which I
believe is unusual..never had to put a dog down so I do not personally know) is
why her vet thinks Ava "may" have had this type of cancer.  If there is a
cancer research going on and someone has information or is able to tell me
which review the info was in, I would appreciate it.

  Thank You.

Ann Marie
www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Amari.html
Home of
  Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Ch. pointed/Major R. @ 6 months)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer)
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch. pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch. pointed)