[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hemangiopericytoma

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 19:16:01 GMT

Doesn't sound horrible, just serious; do not be scared to death!  Limited
metastatic potential is a promising trait.

I had an Asslan of Robinsway son, out of a Lance daughter (that darned Lance
just about destroyed our breed, eh?-----JOKING!!) who had one of these removed
from his pastern at about 5 years of age.  No recurrence; no further problems.
If it does recur, however, I would probably go get another vet's opinion.  Your
current vet may just know what to worry about and what not to worry about.

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:
Hemangiopericytomas (canine spindle-cell sarcoma, canine malignant fibrous
histiocytoma, canine neurofibrosarcoma, canine perineuroma) are common in dogs
and rare in cats (if they occur at all). This tumor was initially named because
it was thought to be derived from fibroblastic cells that surround small
vessels; however, the appropriateness of the name remains a topic of debate.
These tumors develop most commonly on the distal extremities and thorax of
older dogs. Females appear to be predisposed, and Siberian Huskies, mixed-breed
dogs, Irish Setters, and German Shepherds are most at risk. Hemangiopericytomas
typically present as firm, multilobulated, solitary lesions with irregular
borders, most commonly in the subcutaneous fat but sometimes in the dermis.
They are of intermediate malignancy and have limited metastatic potential.
Complete excision is the treatment of choice but, due to their infiltrative
nature, ~30% recur. If the first excision of any sarcoma is not adequate,
followup surgery to completely remove the tumor bed is indicated. At surgery,
intralesional chemotherapy with carboplatin and intraoperative radiation
therapy may improve the tumor-free interval. Followup external beam radiation
therapy may also be considered as an option to control local recurrence
following incomplete excision or narrow margins.

Paula, 72 days and counting