[ SHOWGSD-L ] Helping a Club - LONG

  • From: "Alycia Partei" <frontiergsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:46:58 -0800

Three years ago I asked for assistance for the GSDC of Reno.  We only
have 4 members.  We received a ton of financial help from donations from
all over.  The judge paid his own way.  And I believe we had 5 pts. in
dogs and 2 short for females.  We did very well - we were able to pay
for the show, dues and insurance for the next year and have $12.42 left
over.  Every other year of the last 10 I have paid out of my pocket to
put on the show.  This has ranged from $250 - $600.  I really love
putting on the show and the Golden State club putting on the dinner.  It
has been wonderful and we have always been supported at least the last 6
years with majors - most 4 pts.  I try to have cute prizes, but really
they are fairly cheap. I don't think it is overboard.

The problem is I think a show and club should be able to support itself.
I have sat at Petsmart and Petco to talk to everyone with a GSD.  I have
given flyers to several vets.  I have had several people contact me or
my Dad and we would have club meetings just for those people to never
show up.  I have been given advice on how to bring people in, I have
been given advice on how to get businesses to give money or
advertisements, I have been given advice on getting Purina or whoever to
sponsor a show.  How do explain to these people that you are advertising
to 4 local people and 20-30 others from out of state who aren't going to
spend money in their shops or that they already have their own dog food
they have used for 40 years?

Like Ileana said - The public is not interested in conformation and have
no time or money to spare.  They want to DO something with their dogs -
like take it camping with their kids - take it to a ball game.

If you all are not moving to Reno then I want every one of you on the
list to send the GSDC of Reno $100 to support us<EG>.

Reno will not be having a show this year.  I can't afford it.  I have
some dogs I want to show and maybe hopefully a pup coming up.  I will be
supporting other shows - just not my own.  Maybe next year after I win
the lotto.  I am going to do my best to keep the club open - what a
responsibility - 30 years of a club on my shoulders - OUCH!  It's all
about me you know<LOL>

Alycia