[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Helping Newbies

  • From: TRocknroll@xxxxxxx
  • To: roxyjoefrankie@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:18:32 EDT

Everyone once in awhile I find the need to comment on a subject and this is
 one.  It has hit to close to home recently.  Seems that more often  than
not these past few years, I have been the one burnt and discouraged by
trying to be a good mentor and friend to our breed.

Many years ago when I started in this breed, I found myself saying the same
 thing that is stated below.  People were not friendly and I felt like I
had  the big "L" on my forehead and no one wanted to associate with a beginner
and  give advice.  I vowed not to be like that.

Well....now I understand why people don't reach out like they should.   I
even went so far as to give my pick of the litter to new show people.  It
was a huge mistake (but must say, it looks like it is turning out).  Seems
"newbies" say they want to learn and listen but don't.

I find it is better to stick to oneself instead of offering advice and
help.  Dog showing is my hobby and I use to have so much fun.  These  past
years, the fun is going away and I am starting to rethink about continuing
this
hobby that I love so much.  A person can be friendly, helpful, and try  to
do all the right things for this breed and still get stabbed in the back and
 trampled upon.  That is why so many of us experienced people are backing
off and keeping to ourselves.  Kindness is not look upon as just that
anymore.  JMHO.

In a message dated 7/7/2010 11:28:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
roxyjoefrankie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Being  fairly new to showing although i have always had German shepherds
I'd like to  say that we need more mentors helping out the newbies. It has
been a rough  road for myself  trying to get people to be friendly and give
advice  without being put out. I recently approached a new person and gave
advice on  showing and she was greatly appreciative for my thoughtfulness. She
also has  had a hard time meeting people and making friends. She is young and
very  excited to show but was becoming disappointed in how she was treated.
I have  been lucky enough lately to get myself a good mentor and help guide
me along  and introduce me to people who seems to be very nice and some not
so. But that  is fine. I take it all in stride. I'm not a quitter and have
prevailed through  alot of mean remarks and laughs behind my back. It's the
love for the  breed that keeps me going. . My point is Help these new people
yes, there  competition but that's what it's all about. And without
the new young and  upcoming exhibitors and handlers you all ask, where will
we be in the near  future. I'd like to see more kindness and introductions
to the new people you  meet at shows. You never know they may teach us all a
few new things and what  does it hurt in meeting new friends and answering
a few questions. Alittle  kindness can go along way.

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

For assistance,  please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org