[ SHOWGSD-L ] Help!Monks of New Skete...tie a leash to bed/owner when sleeping?

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD Show Group <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  I had an 8 week puppy go home Saturday, and of course talked about crate
training, puppy basics, etc. including giving them several articles to read.
They are newly married couple, and seemed to be very educated about Shepherds,
and both had family dogs prior to being married.

  Well I talke d to them yesterday, they have stopped the crate since the puppy
is throwing a fit, and knocked the divider down.  She feels bad for him and
says he has seperation anxiety and the crate just made it worse.  She tried
putting a baby gate up in the kitchen, and he climbed over it...surprise
surpirse..since he MUSt be with her or he will be upset.  She sounded very
anxious, and has started following the Monks of New SKette book by tying him to
her arm when she goes to bed so he knows she is with him?? and he can not go
far.  She even talked about making a bedding area on her bed for him to help
ease his anxiety.  She is home the next week on vacation, and then her husband
is taking off the following week to care for him.  She is worried what will
happen when they start back at work.

  I stressed to her this is the WRONG way to start his puppy training.  I
expalined she is letting him win by taking him out of the crate.  Additionally,
he needs to spend some time away from her to learn it is ok to be away from
mom.  I can see this turning bad if she continues this course of giving into
his evry whim.

  Does anyone have any online articles/books to recommend to help her
understand that the Monks suggestion to tie him to her at night is NOT the best
approach when raising a pup?  Any suggesstions, books, articles, would be
greatly appreciated.

Ann Marie
www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Amari.html
Home of
  Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC ROM OFA
Ch Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC TC OFA
Amari's Elizabeth Taylor (Ch pointed/Major Reserve @ 6 months)
Breeder/Owner of
R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
Ch Amari's Bandit of Broadcreek OFA (Multiple Group Placer))
Amari's Blissfull Jazz CGC TDI (Major pointed)
Amari's Cinderella von Hornberger (Ch pointed)
Amari's Chances Are (Ch pointed)
  Amari's Ella Enchanted (Ch pointed @ 7 months)