[ SHOWGSD-L ] Help needed not a GSD

  • From: "Linda Jones" <taragsds@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 23:47:45 -0800

I have a friend who has almost 3 week old Golden puppies.  These puppies
were not whelped at her house, but she has brought the puppies and their mom
home today.  The mom of the puppies belongs to my friend, but since she had
never whelped a litter and has a small baby 18 months old, her breeder,
co-owner whelped the litter, 150 miles away.  The breeder said it was time
the mom and puppies came home.  The mom had a very tough time in the
beginning, c-section, lost 4 puppies, blood transfusions etc, but that does
not seem to be a problem now. there are 7 very healthy puppies.  My friend
arrived home brought the puppies and mom in, they had built a very nice
whelping box, put the puppies in there, but the mom doesn't want to be in
with the puppies.  The mom is either wanting to sleep in the bathroom or
under the bed.  The breeder said that the mom had been a wonderful mom and
very attentive.  Why would she not be that way, once she got home?

My friend has done everything to make the transistion easy.  The other house
dog, is not there, she has let her mom watch the baby for a couple of days.
I had to leave, because I must work in the morning, but I said I would see
if any of you have had a situation like this and what might be missing.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Linda Jones
Tara GSD's
Ridgecrest, CA