[ SHOWGSD-L ] Help despirately needed at LSU

  • From: Cedarsgsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:41:36 EDT

** High Priority **
I just got off the phone with David Senior at  LSU. He is running the Parker
Coliseum shelter at LSU. This shelter is housing  all of the dogs that have
been turned in by owners evacuating to shelters, vet  hospitals that were
evacuated, ... Basically all of the dogs are owned animals  that have/had
owners.
They are down from 1200 animals to about 800. Because  these are considered
"owned" animals they are not able to move these dogs out  into rescue or
shelters
until the end of the month. He just told me that they  are in desperate need
of help caring for these animals. He mainly needs techs or  people who are
willing to help with the animals. He said that not all of the  people need to
be
skilled techs - just be willing to help with the care of the  animals. He is
looking for a 5 day commitment at LSU (which means 7 day total if  you include
travel) There is a place for people to stay at the school. He is  looking for
people starting now and for the next 2 ½ weeks. A lot of the people  who have
committed to working are being diverted to the Lamar Dixon shelter and
possibly by the need of more shelters because of this new hurricane, before
they
even get to the Parker Coliseum.

Other problems include the need for  shelters or rescue organizations who are
willing to take these animals at the  end of the month. Because these animals
are not strays or rescued animals they  need to be housed for a period of
time giving the owners a chance to reclaim  their pets. Every effort is being
made to contact the owners - but in most cases  the address and phone numbers
given for these animals no longer exists.  Unfortunately, they are only
expecting
only about 25% of the animals to be  returned to their owners. Starting Oct 1
they will need to move these animals  out - the big concern is that most of
the shelters are going to be saturated  with all of the other animals that have
already been moved out from other  shelters in the area.

I am sending this out - in case anyone is possibly  interested in I helping
out in LA. This is a place where special training is not  required. However you
would need to be ready for a lot of hard and hot work. And  if any one has
any ideas of shelters/ rescue organization that are not already  overloaded
with
dogs and would be willing to take some of these dogs, please let  me know.
Any ideas or contacts would be greatly appreciated. I am including a  letter
from David that might help explain the situation at LSU as of last week.  They
are really desperate and understaffed right now.

I am home right  now after surgery - but call me or email me if you have any
questions/suggestions. 495-8083. The person at LSU who is in charge of
volunteer  scheduling at Claire Miceli, cmiceli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any help is greatly  appreciated!!

Debby

Debby Sundstrom