[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help! Replacing Normal Digestive Flora

  • From: "Beryl Eshom" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:18:34 -0800

In desperation, sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.
I was desperate over a special bitch in the early 80"s. I checked with my
own vet about what I wanted to try, he said what I planned was a good idea,
go for it. .We were desperate at the time, anything to keep her hydrated and
a little nourishment.

I boiled liver, saved the water it was boiled in, pureed some of the
liver(not to much,) I added powered supplements, also any mediation that the
vet supplied and mixed in into Knox unflavored gelatin. You should use a
less liquid that the package suggests, about half the amount, if I remember
correctly. Pour the mixture into an ice-cube tray. Put it into the
refrigerator(not the freezer) and let your"liver jello" set up. It slides
down the throat easily, gives them some fluid in small amounts  etc.
It kept one of my special girls going for several weeks, when nothing else
would work. Whether it will replace the flora, I do not know. I am not a
vet, nor do I play one on TV. I do know that it gave her the needed  fluid
and nourishment, and it is better than using an IV at home.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA