[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help Needed, Non GSD

  • From: "Linda Jones" <taragsds@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:03:31 -0700

First I would like to thank everyone for their input, all agreed it is a
puppy thing and he just needs exercise and training.  Most everyone also
suggested crating when not able for Mr. Bogey to be supervised.  These are
pet owners, who don't really believe in the crating, their poor choice,
because yesterday, after me finding the second hole in the wall from
Saturday evening to Sunday afternoon (no he wasn't left alone all that time,
left at 2 a.m on Sunday morning, back at 7:30 a.m, at 11:30 a.m and then at
5 p.m.when found holes), that is exactly what I did with him, since I needed
to run some more errands, before being able to stay until his human dad
returned.  I haven't encountered such a wild one myself, had some other
issues, but none that ate holes in walls, I just wanted to make sure I
wasn't missing something as well.  I tried talking this couple into not
keeping a puppy from the litter they had in November, but since it was going
to be the only litter that they were going to have (really bad experience
with co-owner and breeding) they decided to keep a male.  He really is a
good boy, just needs training, which I've told them, they not only have the
2  yr old human, but a new baby will be arriving in September.  It's really
kinda of interesting since I help train this wild ones' mother, they called
for help when she was 6 months old, Hoolie is now 6 yrs old, but she
(Hoolie) sits away watching this wild child, it's like her eyes are saying,
that's not being very smart!  Some have said when he jumps to turn your
back, well, that works until he comes at you from the back, all corrections
to him are playing, so positive reenforcement with treats is working better,
and having him sit immediately does work better.  Now, if I can just get the
mom, human to be able to work on this, but with her having a problem
pregnancy, and a 2 yr old, it is taking major time.

Thanks again everyone!  Much appreciated....

Linda Jones
Tara GSD's
Ridgecrest CA