[ SHOWGSD-L ] Help Needed ASAP

  • From: "Linda Delarso" <jolingsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GermanShepherd4showlist" <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:54:47 -0500

Does anyone have any ideas for this guy?????

A woman down the street has a 2 ½ year old male GSD. I have known this dog
from a pup, and I know of the lines. He was a totally sound puppy and young
adult. A really cool dog! Well all of the sudden he has gone bonkers! Last
Summer he began to be really noise sensitive. This has escalated to the
point of him freaking out frequently. For example she said that he used to
lay in the garage where her husband does wood working and hang out. NOW he
FLIPS if he even picks up a tool ( even a tool that has NO sound). She said
he has never been ?crazy ? about the vacuum, would just QUIETLY leave the
room. NOW , the other night she just moved the vacuum 4 feet, ( it wasn?t
even plugged in) and he scratched down the back of husbands leg in fear.
When she sprays her hair, the sound of the can sends him into a frenzy. When
he is outside he CLAWS art the door to get in. Someone picked up a book the
other day and he flew out of the room.

Now the OTHER issue and the real problem is last summer he nipped someone
who came on the property while they where all outside. This was a neighbor
that is over often. He just ran up to her and nipped her in the hand. Didn?t
break skin, but still unacceptable.  So she was on the phone with the other
neighbor and the woman said in just casual conversation that he had nipped
her son when he was there. But they didn?t want to tell her. So now she is
understandable devastated! She and her family don?t know what to do. Find
him a home, put him down, or is there a trainer out there who could help.

Some history I that she would occasionally leave him and the older female
GSD out in the yard when she would run errands. She is a stay at home mom ,
so it was never a LONG period of time. BUT I am wondering if something
happened to him while he was outside and maybe she wasn?t home? That he is
tying together people walking on to his property, and noise. Was it related
to pain? Did kids come on the property and shoot him with a BB gun? Is he
associating pain , with people walking towards him outside, with a popping
hissing noise? I don?t know, we probably will never know.

He is NOT at all aggressive when people come to the door and IN the house.

Is this a fear bitter?

He was neutered in the summer, they have a 9 yr old GSD , and a Yorkie. Both
others are females.

I KNOW he was never mistreated.

He is a house dog.

He is a childs best friend, so this just make this that much more
devastating!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Trainers?

Medical condition?

Any hope?

Or can they just become UNSOUND?

Should he be put down?

They have to make a decision soon, and are concerned about someone getting
hurt and of course the liability. They have kids that live all around them
and are always at there house. So this is a really bad situation.

ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can e-mail me in private.

thanks

Linda DeLarso

Narvon, Pa.

Jolin Shepherds

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." - Roger Caras